Friday, 22 October 2010

Review: Finding Sky by Joss Stirling



FINDING SKY by Joss Sterling

Publisher:   OXFORD University Press
Format Reviewed:  Paperback
Release Date:  7th October 2010





Synopsis from Goodreads:  When Sky catches a glimpse of Zed for the first time, lounging against his motorbike at school, she is drawn to him just like every other girl in Wickenridge. But Zed sees something special in her that the other girls don't have. Zed tells her they are both Savants - people with special powers like telepathy and the ability to see into the future. Not only that, she is a Savant too, and his soulfinder - meant to be together.

When a soulfinder speaks telepathically to her partner, it's like all the lights coming on in a building. You lit me up like Vegas. But for Sky it's just not that easy - she's a mystery to herself, haunted by nightmares from her past before she was adopted, and riddled with doubt and insecurity. Just when Sky is slowly coming round to the idea of being with Zed she is kidnapped by a family of criminal Savants. In a chilling twist, Sky and Zed's relationship is put to the ultimate test and the fate of those she loves lie in Sky's hands. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the dark demons of her past prevent her from realising her true potential?

My thoughts:  I was hooked from the very first chapter. The writing flowed nicely with lots of humour, action and plenty of sad moments too.  I loved the characters.  The book is written from Sky's point of view.   Zed Benedict, the other main character grabbed my attention straight away (I am officially Team Zed!).  The Benedict family are just so weird yet so great!

Sky was abandoned when she was six years old and moved from foster home to foster home until she settled with her new adoptive parents, Sally and Simon, when she was 10.  She cannot remember her birth name and so along with her adoptive parents they chose her name - Sky.  Very misfortunate to say the least considering her surname!  I wont say anymore for fear of spoiling your own sniggers when you read this book.

One passage from the book I found particularly humorous  was a conversation between Sky and Zed early on in the book when they were just getting to know each other.

'Rude? I just thought that you had some weird allergic reaction to economy-sized English girls.'
He looked me over. 'Is that what you are?'
'Um ... yeah.'  I stared at my feet.  'Still waiting for that growth spurt Sally's been promising since I was fourteen.
'Your height's perfect.  I come from a family of giant redwoods;  a bonsai makes a pleasant change.'

Snigger, snigger.  She may be small, but a bonsai? Where did he get that one liner from!

This is definitely a book I would recommend to my friends.  Most certainly a page turner.  I'd really like to read more of Sky.  I do hope Joss Stirling writes a sequel.

My rating:  5 stars


2 comments:

Rachel Star said...

Good review! I got to say, I love, love, LOVE the cover. It's so beautiful :)

abitosunshine said...

Great review, you've intrigued me!

Hopped in via the Book Blogger Hop!

Ruthi
http://ruthireads.blogspot.com