Saturday, 23 October 2010

Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins




HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins

Publisher:  Hyperion Books CH
Release Date:  1st March 2010
Review Format:  Paperback




Synopsis from Goodreads: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

My thoughts:  Hex Hall tells of the struggles and strains of Sophie Mercer who came into her witchy powers at the age of 12. Her mother is not a witch and her dad, well, she's never met him although she does know he's a Warlock. Growing up without anyone to teach you what to do with these newly found powers is tough going as Sophie finds out when a spell to help out her friend goes majorly wrong and she ends up in the 'juvie' for delinquent witches, fae and shifters.I loved this book. Such a quick, easy read and I was so disappointed to finish it. I mean, when your lounge disappears and suddenly you're in the forest with the characters, you know you're reading a damn good book.

My rating:  4 stars



I'm really looking forward to the next in the series, Demonglass, which is to be released on 1st March 2011. The cover has just this week been released. It is gorgeous!  Take a look!

4 comments:

Arielle said...

I've seen this book around but didn't tale the time to get to know what it's about. Sounds like a good one though, I'm glad I read your review :)

Anna said...

great review! can't wait for more!

-k said...

I just finished reading this last night and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait for the next book to be released.

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

I really want to read this one! And from your review I think I may have to buy it! Thank you. (: