Monday, 25 October 2010

Review: Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan




JENNY POX by J.L. Bryan

Publisher:  www.jlbryanbooks.com
Release date:  24th July 2009
Review Format:  Kindle Edition




Goodreads Synopsis:  Jenny is a quiet, small-town girl in South Carolina whose touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague.  Jenny can't control her power.  Her life is friendless and lonely until she meets a boy with the opposite power, a healing touch.  Her love for him brings the wrath of his beautiful and immensely popular girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.  Jenny must master her own deadly power in order to free Seth from Ashleigh's control.  Then she must defeat Ashleigh before Ashleigh can destroy her.

My thoughts:  OMG!  I thought this was a YA novel. It's not.  It's definitely NOT!  Drugs, sex (pretty detailed too) and gore.  Lots of gore.  You wouldn't think it from reading the synopsis would you?

The last 50 or so pages of this book very nearly freaked me out.  I don't read horror and this came pretty close for a chapter or two.  The twist at the end was totally unexpected and a totally brilliant concept.  I will say no more as I don't know what to say without giving out spoilers.  I think you should read this book for yourself.  I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.  There has got to be a sequel!

My rating:  4 stars


2 comments:

bookdout said...

Hi,
Stopping by on the hop. I really liked this too :)

Gina & Scot said...

I'm shocked your blog has only been open for such a short time. You've done a wonderful job. When I stumbled upon it I thought for sure it was an older established blog. Nice work.