Friday, 5 November 2010

Review: The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan




THE EARTH HUMS IN B FLAT by Mari Strachan

Publisher:  Canongate Books Ltd
Released: 2009
Reviewed Format:  Paperback
Read:  August 2010



Synopsis from Goodreads:  Mari Strachan's debut novel, The Earth Hums in B Flat, has charmed readers around the world with its sparkling portrayal of one unusually imaginative twelve-year-old girl whose investigations into a local crime yields startling repercussions.  Gwenni Morgan is an incorrigible free spirit with a penchant for eavesdropping and a stubborn need to understand human behaviour, which merely leads to more questions.  Her struggle to define the world around her is offset by a fantastic dream world where each night she rises from the bed she shares with her sister and flies high into the sky above her small Welsh village.  There, Gwenni becomes tuned into the earth's softest subtleties, and its hidden mysteries.  When a neighbourhood family is rocked by the sudden, unexplainable disappearance of their patriarch, Gwenni believes that her unknown talents will allow her to discover the truth.  But distinguishing fact from fiction carries more difficulties than she first predicted, and her quest for answers will soon lead her closer to home than she ever imagined.

My thoughts:  The main character, Gwenni, is a young girl living in Wales in the 1950's.  Gwenni wants to be a detective when she grows up and gets herself into trouble often by asking too many questions.  She can't help it.  She has a curious mind.  She 'has' to know about things.  Oh, and Gwenni can fly ...

This is a beautifully written book.  The Welsh names took a bit of getting used to at first, but I found myself giving the characters names I could pronounce :)  A touching story, but not overly sentimental, with just enough information about the people and places without going overboard and making the story longer than necessary.  Lovely.  I will definitely read any future books Mari Strachan releases.

My rating:  4 stars


9 comments:

....Petty Witter said...

How cute is your bookworm icon - I adore it. I saw you mentioned over at the hop and thought I'd stop to say hello. Nice to meet you, I've enjoyed my visit.

Susan said...

Glad to have found you via the Hop. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds charming. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

Jennifer said...

Hi, dropping by from the hop. I'm a new follower. Love you blog name. Who can resist a bookworm. I look forward to reading your reviews.

Have a great weekend.
Jennifer

Susan said...

I'm stopping by from the hop. What an interesting book review-- The Earth Hums...
I haven't seen that one before. Sounds interesting!
Susan from ReadingWorld.

Deepali said...

Your header reminds me of the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland - slow and focused :)
Noticed tht you have a Kindle, my entire blog focuses around ebooks and ereaders :D

- Dee, hopping from e-Volving Books

Linda said...

Sounds like a great book. Just stopping by from the Hop.

Jude Rosenberg said...

Hi! I'm a new follower just stopping by on the blog hop. You have a great blog! I read a few of your reviews and I even put a couple on my "To Be Read" list. I can't wait to read more in the future!
Feel free to stop by any time!
http://judesenglish10.blogspot.com/

Gina & Scot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina & Scot said...

think this book holds promise, I really like the cover art. Sometimes that alone attracts me to the book more than anything else, weird huh?

PS: You've been so helpful and kind, answering all my questions, I do enjoy your blog! Since I'm still learning, I just now figured how how to "Follow" you (and what it means). Cool!