Monday, 29 November 2010

Review: Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan




DASH & LILY'S BOOK OF DARES by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Released:  October 2010
Review Format:  Hardcover (bought)
Read:  November 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  "I've left some clues for you.  If you want them, turn the page.  If you don't, put the book back on the shelf, please."

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favourite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares.  But is Dash that right guy?  Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York?  Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions?  Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?

My thoughts:  My first thought when I finished this book were how I wish I'd waited a little while longer to read it.  How it would have been that perfect read for Christmas week when all the decorations are up and the festivities are well under way.

The chapters in the book are divided between Lily and Dash, starting with Dash finding the notebook in his favourite book store.  I laughed out loud at some of those first dares Lily had set for him.  I loved that Lily and Dash were both down to earth, normal if not a little quirky, teenagers and I enjoyed their sense of fun and imagination, their honesty with each other whilst writing in the notebook and also finding out more about them in their 'real' world.  Their characters really drew me and made me want to know more.  Dash's friend, Boomer was hilarious, as were the array of family and friends bought into the story.  All real characters in their own right.  I think my favourite sub character was Lily's great aunt, Mrs Basil E.  I loved the way she backed Lily up and helped in her mission to find Dash, even when it meant bending the truth a little and using just a touch of bribery.

I must mention the cover, as it's one of my favourites this year.  It just looks so Christmassy and it really is perfect for the story.

This is a well written, enjoyable and funny read.  I would definitely recommend it, especially if you can get a copy to read over the holidays.

My rating:  4 stars

10 comments:

Jenny said...

I have yet to read this or Nick and Norah's, but I think I'm missing out and need to read both! This books sounds sweet and funny and now I want to know all about the dares they've set. Thanks for your thoughts on this one!

ajmitchell said...

I loved Nick and Norah so I knew when this one came out that I needed to read it. I just bought it and its going under my Christmas tree. I'm so glad you enjoyed it and liked the characters. That's so important. Thanks for the review!

Gina @ My Precious said...

Wow, what a great review. I really wanted to know what all the rave was about this book. Thanks to the excitement you've generated with this review, I'm definitely apt to read it.

PS: I thought you were a young kid yourself, I had no idea you were a mommy with a kiddo. Wow! Great job juggling all of those aspects of your life.

Uniquely Moi Books said...

I have an award for you! Come check it out!!!!!!

Chutzpah said...

Great review! Maybe I'll pick this one up to read around Christmastime?

Clover said...

It does look like the perfect book to read at Christmastime. Hopefully, Santa will read my heartfelt letter to him and bring this for me on the 25th!

Lisanna Saunders said...

Nice review, I think I'll check this book out soon! Also, just wanted to congratulate you on The Versatile Blogger award that we awarded you over at Diary of a Book Lover! So drop by to accept it :D http://lis-diaryofabooklover.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-won-award.html

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Someone was just recommending this to me. Excellent review :)

The Book Hour said...

Great review! This is in my TBR pile - really excited to read it now! Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was awesome - these 2 authors are dynamite together by the sounds of it. :-)

Ginny said...

I loved this book as well, especially the characters :D
I even broke my no-hardcover rule to read this ASAP!