Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Review: HALLOWED EVE by Suza Kates




HALLOWED EVE by Suza Kates

Publisher:  Mossy Oak Publishing
Released:  18th September 2010
Review format:  Kindle edition
Read:  October 2010

This book is only currently available in e-book format.

Goodreads Synopsis:  Something terrible happened in Pine Creek.

Eve Taylor must return home for her grandmother's funeral but has every intention of making it a short visit.  Too many memories live in the small town where she grew up, memories of a Halloween best forgotten.

Trey Rainwater has been waiting for Eve.  He knows she'll be staying for longer than she'd planned and has every intention of making sure she does.  He has a promise to keep.

Eve and Trey find themselves thrown into a deadly combination of riddles, murder, and a love that wont be denied.  As the moon hovers in the October sky and Halloween grows closer, Eve must fight her own personal demons while learning to trust the man who protects her.

The past has come back to life and a killer is stalking once again.  He's waiting for his Hallowed Eve.

My thoughts:   A terrible life changing incident robbed Eve of her childhood and even in adulthood it left her with nightmares and fears of certain events and places.  When Eve has to return to Pine Creek to sort out her Grandmothers affairs after her death at the beginning of October, she knows she doesn't want to still be hanging around there by the end of the month - Halloween.

Eve's Nan's next door neighbour, Trey Rainwater (what a dish ladies!) had promised Nan and her Lawyer that he would keep an eye on her and make sure she sticks to the conditions of her Grandmothers will.  What he didn't expect was to fall in love with her.

The main characters in the story are very likeable and the kind of people I'd enjoy being friends with.  They are down to earth, witty and intriguing and there are some rather raunchy love scenes dotted about too.  I enjoyed the build up in this story, waiting to hear Eve's 'story', but when the climax happened I was at first really disappointed.  It couldn't be as simple as that and certainly wasn't the major climax I had hoped for or been expecting.  From being an enjoyable 4 star story, this dropped to a slightly disappointing 3 1/2 stars.  I was wrong though and there was more to come and so unexpected that it shot right back up to 4 stars.

The story of "Hallowed Eve" was born out of Suza's love the for holiday.  Suza says she loves to write the occasional romatic suspense.  Well this is definitely one to enjoy over Halloween and I really should have posted this review before the end of October!

Mysterious, enjoyable and a little scary to boot.  I am looking forward to reading more of Suza Kates' work.  Well worth the £2.22 Amazon price tag for this Kindle ebook!

My Rating:  4 stars

2 comments:

Gina & Scot said...

A great review, each time I visit, I find another book I think I might like. I look forward to your next post....

Kim said...

This looks like a good one! I know what you mean about book covers on a Kindle...leaves something to be desired. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Stephen King post:-)