Wednesday, 10 November 2010

Review: Whisper of a Witch by Suza Kates




WHISPER OF A WITCH by Suza Kates

Publisher: Mossy Oak Publishing
Released:  15th June 2010
Reviewd Format:  Kindle edition
Read:  October 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  A Choice -  Shauni Miller has no idea why her life is changing, but she must answer when an unknown force summons her to a mystical island.  She also harbors a secret, one that has the potential to alter her life forever.  If she chooses to share it.

A Deception - Dr. Michael Black helps Shauni in her time of need, but sees more in the raven-haired temptress than she ever meant to reveal.  he knows she's hiding something, but then, so is he.

A Prediction - Both Shauni and Michael have a role to play and decisions to make as a centuries-old prophecy unfolds.  Only the fated know if they are meant to be together.  Or if one of them has to die.

My thoughts:  I love the cover on this book.  Isn't it pretty? I read it on my Kindle so didn't get to see the cover every time I picked it up to read, but this is just how I imagined Shauni to be.

During the first few pages of this book my thoughts were a little confused.  There were so many characters brought into the picture all at once that I half convinced myself that I'd never remember who was who.  In actual fact, the author was very clever in this respect and it didn't take long at all to feel I knew each and every one of them.  The story is about nine witches who have always been destined to come together.  The girls didn't know each other before they felt the calling.  Most of them didn't even know they were witches.  Each has their own specific powers and each has to pass a test to stop a Demon called Bastraal being resurrected.  This first book in the Savanah Coven series concentrates mainly on Shauni who is to take the first test.

I really enjoyed this book.  The characters were great, including the animals.  I loved Shauni's cat, Cuileann.  A cat with a dry sense of humour and Suza had her speaking just how you'd expect a cat to speak :)  I did feel a little disappointed towards the end of the book when Shauni took her 'test'.  There was a lot of build up to this and I expected it to be a little more powerful than it actually was, but all in all, a really enjoyable read.

My rating:  4 stars


The next book in the Savannah Coven Series will be released in February 2011!!!  Woohoo!!!
It is called "Conviction of a Witch".  I'm not sure which of the girls this book will focus on, but whichever it is, I can't wait to read it!



If you want to find out more about Suza or her books, her website is here.  There is also an exerpt from this book so well worth a clicky visit.

I just have to tell you all this little personal snippet whilst posting this review.  My mother had always been a bookworm, but in the last 10 years or so she found it hard to concentrate on books, mainly because of her eyesight and the weight of the books.  Anyway, a month or so ago, after I'd had my Kindle a couple of weeks and found out just how awesome it really was, I kind of pushed my mum into borrowing it to see if she thought she could get back into reading.  Well it worked.  She loved it and has even gone as far as to getting her own (my dad got one too - I've turned them both into Kindle-ites!).  I wanted to fit this little bit of information into this post as the book my mum chose to read on my Kindle was Whisper of a Witch :o)

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

Thanks for the review! I'm not sure that I would have decided to read this one without seeing a good review.

Mel said...

I've alse just bought a copy for my kindle after reading your review - always good to try a new author I haven't heard of before! :)

Kat said...

I loved this book too. I'm really looking forward to the next one in the series.