Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Review: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins




CATCHING FIRE by Suzanne Collins

Publisher:  Scholastic
Released:  7th September 2009
Review Format:  Paperback Edition (owned)
Read:  August 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark.  But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules.  Katniss and Peeta should be happy.  After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty.  But there are rumours of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion.  The Capitol is angry.  The Capitol wants revenge.

My thoughts:  I read this book back in August and oh my!  My heart still races when I think about it.  When I picked the book up I would never have guessed for one minute how the plot of The Hunger Games would continue.

Katniss was in big trouble after winning the 74th Hunger Games and the Capitol were after her blood.  The book was fast paced and the suspense never ends, right down to the very last line.  I thought Hunger Games was amazing, but this one was even better.

I loved Katniss.  I loved her humour, her defiance and just about everything about her.  I could visualise the costumes as I was reading about the ceremony.  I could visualise the scenes of chaos and destruction.  Suzanne Collins has the fantastic ability to actually take you there as a spectator.  On more than one occasion I had the urge to jump in and help.  I cried, I laughed and at times I had to put the book down because I just couldn't bare to read the next paragraph until my emotions had calmed a little.

And that last line ... I would never have guessed.  I was still reeling the day after finishing the book!

My rating: 5 stars


I read Mockingjay shortly after it's release at the end of August 2010.  My review on that one will be up very soon.

9 comments:

Aylee said...

Yes, I agree! Very well said.

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i love this series - it is awesome!!

Jenny said...

YAY! I adore this series:) Katniss and Peeta are two of my favorite characters. I'll be interested to see what you think of Mockingjay, it was definitely hit or miss for most people! Nice review:)

Carissa said...

This series was just an unexpected surprise for me. I read every book in less than 24 hours and just couldn't stop thinking about it after I was done. Very powerful and thought provoking.

Bookgirl818 said...

Great review! I read this recently and thoroughly concur. Great blog, I'm definitely a follower!

Cozy in Texas said...

Thanks for the review. I'm constantly looking for new reads.
Ann

Shannon the BookStalker said...

I loved Catching Fire, and the whole Hunger Games series! I'm right there with you on the ending, I was so glad that Mockingjay was already out and that I didn't have to wait to find out what was going to happen!

RebeccaNaomi said...

I plan to read this series next year. I am really excited about it.

T.B. said...

I can't wait to hear what you have to say about Mockingjay! I reviewed it on my blog also and I thought that this one was the best out of the trilogy! Team Peeta or Team Gale? ;)