Saturday, 4 December 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Whilst blog hopping this week I came across a few mentions of The Hunger Games and realised that this is a book I read and reviewed on Goodreads before I started my blog, so it never made it here.  As I've had so little time for reading this week and haven't had a finish to review, I thought I'd post The Hunger Games review that I wrote in August for Goodreads.




THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins

Publisher:  Scholastic Children's Books
Released:  5th January 2009
Review Format:  Paperback
Read:  August 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS.  LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.

In a dark vision of the near future, a terrifying reality TV show is taking place.  Twelve boys and twelve girls are forced to appear in a live event called the Hunger Games.  There is only one rule:  KILL OR BE KILLED.

When sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen steps forward to take her sister's place in the games, she sees it as a death sentence.  But Katniss has been close to death before.  For her, survival is second nature.

My thoughts:  The Hunger Games grabbed my full attention within the first 40 pages.  I spent every spare minute with my nose between the pages and wow, what a fabulous read.  The words just flowed and my imagination went wild!

Katniss, the main character, takes the place of her sister in the annual Hunger Games - a reality TV show run each year by the evil 'Capitol' where only one of the 24 contestants will come out alive.  It's a fight for survival for the unfortunate kids who get chosen - one boy and one girl from each District, who are all between the ages of 12 and 16.

A truly original concept.  In the back of the book there is an interview with the author, Suzanne Collins, where she states that she came across the idea whilst flicking the TV channels, one side had a programme about war and the other a reality TV show.

I recommend this book to all my friends.  Even my mum read it and loved it!  It has to be one of the best books I've ever read!

My rating:  5 stars


Whether you've read the Hunger Games or not, check out this video made by fans.  It's fantastic!


7 comments:

Gilliene said...

If you are to ask me, I don't think the concept is so original, considering that it's similar to Battle Royale (Japanese movie), and I heard that Battle Royale was made first before THG. Still, it's an awesome book - that we all have to agree with! :)

Jenny said...

Oh how I love this series! I'm not familiar with Battle Royale, so I found the concept riveting and unique as well. I was fully invested in the story and you couldn't have gotten me to stop reading unless you pulled it from my white-knuckled death grip on the pages:) Can't wait to see what you think of the next 2 books!

Melissa said...

I am SO glad you enjoyed THG! It's one of my all-time favourite series, so it makes me happy to see others like the books, too! Can't wait to see what you think of Catching Fire!

Gina @ My Precious said...

There has been so much hype around this book, I've just not brought myself to read it, I'm not sure why. You gave it 5 stars so I may have to reconsider.

Aylee said...

I'm so happy you loved this book so much. I did, too. Definitely one of my favourite post-Potter reads. Have you read Catching Fire and Mockingjay yet?
Oh, and I don't think my edition of the book had an interview with SC. Too bad, I would have liked that.
Ugh, and that video! Every time I watch it, it almost brings me to tears! So good.

Brenda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the look of your blog--I'm following you now. :)

Caroline (Bon Bons and Reveries) said...

I loved the hunger games! And that video is beautiful.
Because you're such a great blogger I'm giving you the Life is Good Award> http://bonbonsandreveries.blogspot.com/2010/12/life-is-good-award.html