Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Review: October Girls: Crystal & Bone by L.C. Glazebrook




OCTOBER GIRLS:  Crystal & Bone by L.C. Glazebrook

Publisher:  Cinderella Story Press
Released:  14th September 2010
Review Format:  Kindle Edition (thank you to Scott Nicholson)
Read:  December 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  Five days until Halloween and all hell is about to break loose.  And it's all Crystal's fault.

Momma warned her not to consort with the dead and tried to teach her the magic spells that would close the portal to the afterlife.  But Crystal doesn't want to be a trailer-trash witch like Momma.  She has dreams of going to community college and escaping the Appalachian town of Parson's Ford.

Her best friend Bone is only too happy to escape the afterlife and help Crystal break the rules.  Bone died too young, and she'll do whatever it takes to remain among the living.

Then a teen movie maker comes to Parson's Ford and he has a very special project in mind:  a horror movie starring a real ghost.  The kinds who watch his movies turn into brainwashed zombies.  And to tally complicate matters, Crystal thinks he's kind of a hunk, and she's afraid her boyfriend Pettigrew only loves her because of Momma's magic spells.

Now it's Halloween, the night when the portal to the afterlife is widest, and somebody's been messing with Momma's potions.  The fate of the world is in Crystals hands, but she hasn't been paying attention to her lessons. A mysterious figure in the afterlife is urging Bone to stay loyal to her own kind instead of Crystal.

The movie is rolling, the creatures are stirring and the brainwashed teenagers are ready to welcome a new star from the other side of the grave.

Crystal and Bone must overcome drama queens, coffin cuties and mangled magic if they want to remain best friends forever - but at this rate, forever may not last much longer.

My thoughts:  This young adult book read as an unusual mix of horror and comedy.  Crystal Aldridge, the main character was meant to be learning how to become a witch and take over from her mother as guardian of the orifice, but she really couldn't be bothered.  She came across to me as a pretty dull and shallow character who I couldn't find any love for.  Bone, on the other hand, was a real character.  Full of fun and with a great personality.  Some of the one-liners she came out with and stunts she pulled had me laughing out loud.

Spells going mightily wrong, slimy holes appearing in walls, creatures of the underworld and unborn film stars made this a funny and extremely quirky read.  Every so often though things seems to go off at a tangent, which left me wondering what 'that' was all about.

I can't decide whether L.C. Glazebrook's style of writing took me a while to get used to, or if the writing actually improved as I came into the second half of the story, and once I had finished the book I realised I was quite looking forward to reading more about Bone and Crystal.

My rating:  3 stars (A good book.  There was just something ...)

You can read the first chapter here, on the Haunted Computer website.  The next book in this series, Dead & Unfriended, is due out in early 2011. 

Edited to add:  Danny left me a comment.  She has a thing about love and kissing you see (mmwwaahhh), so just for your Danny, yes, there is a little luuv and even a little love triangle starting ... maybe.  You'll have to read it to find out :)

5 comments:

Danny said...

Great Review I have this book sitting on my shelf and just waiting for me ... Is there...any love? some kissing and such?
I know, I'm a love junkie !!!

Danny said...

Thanks so much Sweetie for adding this note!! This is what I wanted to hear !!

<3

Gina @ My Precious said...

Its sounds so cute, but I'm a little leary. Do you look forward to the next book in the series? Will you continue to read the series? How many books will be in the series total?

author Scott Nicholson said...

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, Karen! It was a little different for me so I hope it gets better as it goes along.

Gina, right now it's planned as three books, the final two to come out next year, but they will all stand independently. If readers want more after that, a new storyline will start, but you won't be left hanging with each book. Well, not much!

Scott (LC Glazebrook)

Jenny said...

I do love the sound of Bone, I always enjoy a character with some quality one-liners that make me laugh. Glad to see that despite some of the issues with this one, you're still looking forward to reading more of these characters, that's always a good sign the story has potential and will continue to improve:) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!