Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Blog Tour: Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf by Curtis Jobling




WEREWORLD:  RISE OF THE WOLF by Curtis Jobling

Publisher:  Puffin
Released:  6th January 2011
Review Format: Paperback (with thanks to Puffin)
Read:  January 2011



Goodreads Synopsis:  'You're the last of the werewolves son.  Don't fight it ... Conquer it'.  When the air is clear, sixteen year old Drew Ferran can pick up the scent of a predator.  When the moon breaks through the clouds, a terrifying fever grips him.  And when a vicious beast invades his home, his gums begin to tear, his fingers become claws and Drew transforms.  Forced to flee the family he loves, Drew seeks refuge in the most godforsaken parts of Lyssia.  But when he is captured by Lord Bergan's men, Drew must prove he is not the enemy.  Can Drew battle the werecreatures determined to destroy him - and master the animal within?

My thoughts:  I wasn't really sure I'd enjoy Rise of the Wolf as it's aimed more at boys aged 11+, but once I started reading I found it very hard to put down.

I really liked Drew, the 16 year old main character.  He had not been forewarned about the dramatic transformation that would change his life forever and I really felt for him, especially during the first few chapters.  This poor young man is put through more torture, life trials and battles than I would have thought possible in one book!

Rise of the Wolf is a very fast paced fantasy novel set in the world of Lyssia.  As the story progresses, Curtis Jobling does a great job of keeping you enthralled.  I loved the map at the front of the book - it really helped me keep track of Drew's journey.

Along the way Drew meets many characters in Lyssia, some become good friends, like Hector and Gretchen.  Others are so evil it made you want to hiss and spit at them!  Hector was my favourite character in the book.  A Wereboar and a healer who saved Drew's life on many occasions with his great knowledge of potions and magic.  Jobling gave him such a lovely personality that at times I could have hugged him.  Saying that, all the characters were great - even the nasty ones.

With a Werewolf, Werebears, Wererats, Werefoxes, Weresharks and many more Werecreatures, I can definitely see where the name Wereworld came from.  A very good tale well told, and I can see it going down a storm and captivating the hearts and minds of it's readers.

My rating:  4 stars


Take a look at this great trailer for Wereworld: Rise of the Wolf



11 comments:

Ivan Bookworm said...

I really like to read that book!

Clover said...

This one sounds fantastic and I know that when I do read it, I will love it. I do really like books aimed at boys 11+! :)

Jenny said...

Fabulous review, I wouldn't have thought I would enjoy a book aimed at younger boys, but it sounds like a great story overall! Love all the different types of were creatures:)

Small Review said...

I had this one on my TBR, but I wasn't super excited for it. Now having read your review I can't wait to read it. Your review has so much energy. I love it!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I agree with Small Review, I wasn't at all hyped about this book until I read this review. It sounds really good. I'm happy for reviews like this which introduce me to books I never would have read before, but now will give a chance.

aobibliophile™ said...

congratulations! i've given you the Stylish Blogger Award. please check it out at http://aobibliosphere.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogging-award.html c",)

LJ said...

I've also given you the Stylish Blogger award. Congrats! http://www.readerrecommended.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

Laura said...

Your wonderful review has made me want to read this book! I must put it on my TBR list. I love books that have to do with wereanimals. I particularly like werefoxes/kitsunes so it's good to hear that a few appear in Wereworld :o)

Cheryl said...

I'm part of the blogtour too and loved reading your review. I really didn't think I'd like it (I'm not a werewolf fan at all !) but loved it ! You can catch up with the werecreation drawing here (plus my review and giveaway) : http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/wereworld-rise-of-wolf-2011-blog-tour.html :-)

Sarah said...

Fab review! I'm so glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Celesta said...

I don't think I would have picked this up on my own, even though I do like Wereanimals. Glad you liked it though! It is now officially on my TBR pile. This is why I love reading other people's blogs! New Follower!