Monday, 31 January 2011

Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick




CRESCENDO by Becca Fitzpatrick

Publisher:  Simon and Schuster
Released:  October 2010
Review Format:  Hardcover Edition (own copy)
Read:  January 2011

Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect.  Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel.  But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic.  He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadnt been acting so distant.  Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something.

Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperatly searches for answers.  But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.


I was really excited to start reading about Nora and Patch again and with such a stunning cover, I really couldn’t resist any longer.

Crescendo starts off 14 months previous with the telling of how Nora’s dad died, but giving no answers as to why or who.  Crescendo is all about Nora trying to find out what actually happened that night and who the killer was.

I liked Nora.  She was funny and sweet, but she’s also a bit dopey.  Sometimes she just didn’t see the obvious and this led to more trouble for her.  Our protagonist also turned into a bit of a house-breaker in this book - sneaking her way into the bedrooms of three other characters (that I can remember) and I have to say that it got a bit monotonous by the third time.

Patch was as gorgeous as ever and although he was still a main character, I think we saw more of Vee, Rixon and new character, Scott in this book.  I loved that Vee had much more of a roll this time round.  I think she’s a great friend to Nora and will do just about anything to help her friend out. Rixon and Scott on the other hand, I didn’t like either of them.  Not at all. I thought they were both bad guys, but as it turned out I was wrong ... or was I?

Although the plot was good and I really wanted to find out what had happened to Harrison Grey, Nora’s dad, there were a few times when I groaned and thought that things were just too far fetched.  There were other times when things happened and then just seemed to be forgotten about, like Nora’s evening job.  She worked one shift and then it was never mentioned again and she always seemed to be sleeping or doing something else in the evenings.

Becca Fitzpatrick seemed to wrap things up nicely towards the end of the book, but then WHAM!  On the last two pages we hit another major cliffhanger.  Darn it!  When does the third book come out?

All in all, Crescendo is a fun read. There are plenty of exciting bits to keep you sitting on the edge of your chair and it’s a definite must read if you really loved Hush, Hush.

My rating:  3 stars


12 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

This one is waiting for me :) Great review!

Jenny said...

Nice review, I had mixed feelings about this one as well. The angst was a little much for me in this one, and Nora and Patch just seemed out to hurt one another purposely which drove me crazy. Like you though, I was glad Vee had a more prominent role:) The end was fabulous and now I can't wait for book 3!

BooksforCompany said...

This book does leave you with a HUGEEE cliffhanger!!
I did have mixed feelings but it left me dying for the 3rd one!

Carissa said...

Yeah the cliffhanger ending wasn't what I expected. lol. I had some mixed feelings on this book do to some character issues with Nora, but on the whole it was still pretty good. Great review!

Check Out My Early Review of The Demon Trapper's Daughter

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I enjoyed this one a little more than Hush, Hush, but I think they are both pretty great! I loved the cliffhanger at the end of this - I just wish we didn't have so long a wait to find out what happens next!

Aylee said...

Still have to read Hush, Hush but I'm looking forward to this series because it sounds at the very least fun if maybe not the best series ever.

Lauren said...

I really loved Hush, Hush so I'm glad to hear this one is a fun read as well. Also, knowing that Vee has a bigger role makes me really happy as well because she was one of my favorite characters the first time around. Thanks for the lovely review! :)

Laura said...

I have Crescendo on my TBR list, but I must admit I'm a little reluctant to read it! I thought Hush Hush was just OK. It's disappointing to hear that the sequel ends on a cliffhanger. I think I may wait to read it then. Cliffhangers are so bothersome! Great review!

Steph said...

I had mixed feelings about this book. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either. but yes, I could NOT believe the ending. I was thinking, WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!

Amber Griffiths said...

"She's also a bit dopey." Haha, so true. Love it.

The third book comes out in the autumn, either September or October. So long :( I kind of hated the cliffhanger. But then I loved it at the same time, as it was totally unexpected!

Great review :D

T.B. said...

I read Hush, Hush and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't read Crescendo yet, but hope to soon.

Gina @ My Precious said...

I'm not familiar with this series. But one thing I know for sure is, I'm kinda growing thin on patience for all these cliffhangers! My old feeble mind isn't capable of remembering all of them, especially since some books won't be out for an entire year! Geez!