Saturday, 22 January 2011

Review: Crime Beat by Scott Nicholson




CRIME BEAT by Scott Nicholson

Publisher:  Haunted Computer Books
Released:  January 9th, 2011
Review Format: Kindle Edition (with thanks to Scott)
Read:  January 2010


When John Moretz takes a job as a reporter in the Appalachian town of Sycamore Shade, a crime wave erupts that boosts circulation and leaves people uneasy. Then a murder victim is discovered, and Moretz is first on the scene.

As more bodies are discovered, Moretz comes under police suspicion, but the newspaper's sales are booming due to his coverage of sensational crime. His editor is torn between calling off his newshound and cashing in on the attention, plus the editor is romancing the big-city reporter assigned to cover the suspected serial killer.

And Moretz seems to be one step ahead of the other reporters, the police, and even the killer himself.

Synopsis from Goodreads
This e-book was a short novella and didn’t take me more than a few hours to read. One of the things I really enjoy about Nicholson’s work is the detail he puts into his descriptions of the scene. As I was reading I could picture the newspaper office where John Moretz and his boss, Howard Nance worked.

I was surprised at how quickly I was pulled into this story, and although I didn’t like the main characters very much, I’m pretty much sure I wasn’t ‘meant’ to like them! There were some very funny lines in there which had me laughing out loud. I do like Nicholson’s sense of humour :D

The writing was very easy to read and flowed nicely, right through to the cunning little twist at the end! Not what I was expecting at all and I’m pretty sure I said ‘Oh! No way!’ out loud. I really want to tell you what I thought was going on, but I can’t because that would give too much away, so there’s not a lot more I can say here without giving spoilers.

Definitely worth a read, especially if enjoy a good crime/mystery and you are looking for something quick to fill a few hours.

My Rating:  4 stars


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Do you like my little 'block quote' up there?  I'd like to thank Danny over at the Bewitched Bookworms for her wonderfulness today in coming to the aid of this Bookworm in distress.  She very kindly spent some of her Saturday morning working on my blog and inputting the code to allow me to have pretty block quotes.

I'd also like to thank Melissa over at I Swim for Oceans for originally sending me the information on how to do this, but I am just not html minded (as Danny will vouch for - as when it came time for me to give it a go, I ended up with a double quote box LOL).

Thank you ladies.  You are both awesome!

2 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I'm glad your quote box finally worked! haha if it makes you feel any better, I had to bother the heck out of multiple bloggers when I first tried it...and it turned out hideous at first!

Great review though...this sounds like something I would enjoy - and it's definitely a change of pace :)

Danny said...

You are very welcome !!! I'm glad I could help and we finally got it working :) Looking great!!