Saturday, 1 January 2011

Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver




DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver

Publisher:  Hodder & Stoughton
Released:  1st February 2011 (expected release date)
Review Format:  ARC (with thanks to UK Book Tours)
Read:  December 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing.  They didn't understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold.  Things are different now.  Scientists are able to eradicate love and the Government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen.  Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured.  A life without love is a life without pain:  safe, measured, predictable and happy.

But with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable.  She falls in love.

My thoughts:  How scary did I find this book?  Very!  Can you imagine a life without love and even hate? Could you live with total indifference to everyone and everything?

At first, Lena came across as a pretty wimpy character, but as the story unfolds it becomes obvious that she is anything but that.  That society has changed the way children are brought up.  A society where a mother giving a child a hug, mopping up tears after a grazed knee or singing nursery rhymes is frowned upon, and even possibly looked upon as an arrest-able offence.

Alex was such a great guy.  Watching the developing relationship between Lena and Alex was beautiful.  Forbidden true love.  I liked him even more than Lena and really enjoyed his story unfolding.  All the main characters gelled together really well.  I loved how close Lena and her best friend Hana were.  Even in a 'normal' society it's hard to find a friend like that.

With a well written, intense and very emotional plot, Lauren Oliver manages to take you on a fantastic journey.  A little warning though ... you may want to arm yourself with a tissue or two before you read the last chapter ...

My rating:  4 stars

11 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I'll be reading this one soon - I've heard a lot of good things about it! I like the sound of this guy, Alex! :)

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i can't wait to get hold of this one!!

Aylee said...

I'm reading this now! Enjoying it! Great review :)

Mel said...

Scary idea - a world without love! Sounds intriguing concept - another book to look out for!

BooksforCompany said...

Looking forward to this, its my next read and first read on my kindle!

Jenny said...

I absolutely adored this one! It took me a little while to get into because like you said Lena was a little lacking in strength of personality in the beginning, but once she started meeting with Alex, I couldn't put it down:)

The Happy Booker said...

Great review! Wow, this society sounds frighteningly fascinating!! lol I can't wait to read this one.

Clover said...

Oh I really loved this one, though you're right, it is a scary idea. Living in a world without love is really unthinkable.

Aleetha said...

Cant hardly wait till I have my own copy

Vicki said...

I've got this on my Kindle to read next. thanks for the warning about the tissues!

Aleeza said...

before i fall was awesomeeee, so i cant wait to read this one. lovely review! :)