Sunday, 9 January 2011

Review: The Haunted E-Book by J.L. Bryan




THE HAUNTED E-BOOK by J.L. Bryan

Publisher:  JLBryanbooks.com
Released:  1st January 2011
Review Format:  Kindle Edition (owned)
Read:  January 2011



Goodreads Synopsis:  Dee escapes her dreary librarian job and unfaithful boyfriend by reading romance and fantasy on her Kindle.

She tries The Haunted E-book, the story of a 19th century tramp printer whose ghost awakens whenever someone reads a book he created.  The ghost stalks his readers and threatens them with death if they stop reading the book.  Though she doesn’t usually like ghost stories, Dee can’t stop herself from reading it.

Then Dee learns the stories in the books are true, the malevolent ghost is real, and Dee might be the next character to die.

My thoughts:  

Foreword: This is not a Young Adult book. It contains scenes of violence, sex and plenty of scariness. 

Firstly let me say that I don’t usually read horror.  I live alone with my 4 year old son and I have a very vivid imagination.  So why, you might ask, did I choose to read The Haunted E-Book? Curiosity.  That’s it.  The title intrigued me so much I just had to see what it was about ... and you know what curiosity did to the cat!  So yes, this book freaked me out just a little, but that’s what horror books are supposed to do, right?

The story starts with a character reading about another character reading the same book they are reading - The Haunted E-Book.  With me so far?  Good.  Dee is one of those characters and along with Elaine and Madison they are all reading a copy of this book on their Kindles.  They do not know each other personally, they all just think that the others are just characters in the book they’re reading, but as people start to die in a grotesque way they soon realise that THEY ARE the characters in the story!

I really liked Dee and Madison.  They are were normal people living normal lives and I gelled well with them.  Both were intelligent and used that intelligence when working out problems, which I liked - they didn’t go all silly and dopey when facing major obstacles.  And wow, did they have some major obstacles to face!

Enter Jonah.  Evil, scary, Jonah who totally freaked me out!  Jonah was a nineteenth century Tramp Printer and a murderer and he was set to murder everyone who stops reading his book!  But he doesn’t want to just murder you.  He has other plans for you.

The plot in this book has been very intricately woven and excellently put together and I really did enjoy it, although I was a little anxious at times.  (That’s just me being a wuss ... but it really doesn’t help when a Wood Pigeon flies into the lounge window right next to my head with an enormously loud crash just as I’m deep into a particularly scary and gory part of the book.)  I really wanted to keep reading and find out what happened.

Dare you download The Haunted E-Book and go head to head with Jonah?  Just remember though, if you start reading, Jonah won’t let you stop ...

My rating: 4 stars


J.L. Bryan has his own blog and has written a post about Tramp Printers and why he wrote The Haunted E-Book.  If you'd like to read it, click here.

8 comments:

Mel said...

Ooo, sounds spooky. The idea of a haunted e-book combines something so modern and traditional - me like! :)

Jenny said...

Oh yay, I hadn't read any reviews for this one yet so I'm glad you posted your thoughts! I loved Jenny Pox, so I'm really excited to read this book since I enjoyed that one so much. I scare really easily as well, so I'm sure this one will freak me out:) Thanks for the review!

Jude Rosenberg said...

I just wanted you to know that I've given you an award, but then I realized that you are now an Award Free Zone. I just thought that you should know any way :)
Have a good week!

Jude

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I've never heard of this one before - it certainly sounds very different and very spooky! I enjoyed this review! :)

AnimeGirl said...

It sounds very complex!! LOL, I had to read it twice to see if I had understood it, but it's intriguing. :D

Alison said...

I think I'd stay away from this one because of the fright aspect, but I can definitely see how the title is enticing. It's a fabulous title.

Dazzling Mage said...

LOL, the story within a story within a story is genius. xD But I don't blame you for freaking out. >_<

Great review!

Carissa said...

Omg! I love being totally freaked out. This book is so going on my tbr list!