Thursday, 6 January 2011

Review: Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel




INFINITE DAYS by Rebecca Maizel

Publisher:  Macmillan Childrens Books
Released:  3rd August 2010
Review Format:  Kindle Edition (owned)
Read:  December 2010



Goodreads Synopsis:  When Lenah Beaudonte, a 500-year-old vampire queen, wakes up a human teenager at an ultra-cliquey prep school, she must choose between embracing the humanity she’s always craved and saving her new friends from her vicious coven. The first in a sizzling new YA series.

Lenah Beaudonte is, in many ways, your average teen: the new girl at Wickham Boarding School, she struggles to fit in enough to survive and stand out enough to catch the eye of the golden-boy lacrosse captain. But Lenah also just happens to be a recovering five-hundred-year-old vampire queen. After centuries of terrorising Europe, Lenah is able to realise the dream all vampires have - to be human again. After performing a dangerous ritual to restore her humanity, Lenah entered a century-long hibernation, leaving behind the wicked coven she ruled over and the eternal love who has helped grant her deep-seated wish.

Until, that is, Lenah draws her first natural breath in centuries at Wickham and rediscovers a human life that bears little resemblance to the one she had known. As if suddenly becoming a teenager weren’t stressful enough, each passing hour brings Lenah closer to the moment when her abandoned coven will open the crypt where she should be sleeping and find her gone. As her borrowed days slip by, Lenah resolves to live her newfound life as fully as she can. But, to do so, she must answer ominous questions: Can an ex-vampire survive in an alien time and place? What can Lenah do to protect her new friends from the bloodthirsty menace about to descend upon them? And how is she ever going to pass her biology midterm?

My thoughts: Well I can honestly say I’ve never come across a vampire story quite like this one before. Lena is a centuries old vampire who becomes human again after a 100 year sleep and an ancient and dangerous ritual by her vampire love, Rhodes.

At first I really didn’t like Lena, but then the Lena we first meet is evil vampire Lena so you can’t really blame me.  As the story progressed I really liked how her character changed.  I loved how sometimes she slipped up and still spoke in that olde worlde way.  How she had to come to terms with all the new technology over the 100 years she was sleeping.  I really enjoyed how Lena’s thoughts and memories took us back in time hundreds of years with details from her past human and vampire life.

Justin and Tony, Lena’s current life boyfriend and best friends were great. Who couldn’t swoon over Justin, and I loved how he reacted to Lena’s ‘situation’, but I must admit that Tony was my favourite of the two guys.

The plot was imaginative, fun, extremely interesting and I think Rebecca Maizel did a great job of telling this story. I am really looking forward to the release of the second book, although I cannot imagine how which direction it will take after the big cliff hanger at the end of Infinite Days.

I really enjoyed Infinite Days. This is definitely one you need to add to your TBR pile!

My rating:  4 stars

11 comments:

Jenny said...

I adored this book, I'm so glad you liked it as well! I didn't like Lena at first either, especially since I was instantly in love with Rhode and she seemed to move past him so easily, but she grew on me:) After that end I can't wait to see what happens in Stolen Nights!

Shannon the BookStalker said...

I loved this book, glad you enjoyed it too! Stolen Nights can't get her fast enough, I mean what a cliffhanger!!!

Aylee said...

This sounds so unique for a vampire book! Really want to read this now!

Luisa at Chicklish said...

Your review has really intrigued me! Great review - thanks!

Bookgirl818 said...

Great review - I've been putting this off for a few weeks but definitely going to give it a go now! Thanks :)

Small Review said...

What a great review. You have me intrigued and excited to read this one. I wasn't really sure what to think of the premise, but I like the way you described Lena's situation.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Well, I've never really been biten by the "Vampire Book Bug". Recently, though I asked someone if I wanted to try out vampire books to point me to the very best YA reads out there. This book was one of the recommendations and the Vampire Acadamy books was the other.

I'm glad you posted a review. I'm more inclined to try it now that you say you've enjoyed it! :-0

Uniquely Moi Books said...

Thanks for the tip! I just bought Past Continuous!I've been looking everywhere for it! Can't wait to get it!

Mel said...

I've been seeing Infinte Days around and had been curious to see it's any good. I love the idea of a vampire becoming human - some stories finish with that but taking it as the starting point seems unique to me! Thanks for positive review - one for my wishlist! :)

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I totally agree -- this was such a different and interesting story. The flashbacks were the best! And I totally loved Tony =) MAJOR cliffhanger! OMG! I really need Stolen Nights like, NOW! O_O Great review!

Danny said...

Squeeeee!! I'm so soooooo glad you liked it!!! I sooo loved this book, but well I guess you know that;)