Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Review: The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney




THE IRON WITCH by Karen Mahoney

Publisher:  Random House Childrens Books
Released:  January 2011
Review Format:  Paperback Edition (own copy)
Read:  January 2011

Freak. That's what her classmates call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood.  When she was seven, a horrific fey attack killed her father and drove her mother mad.  Donna's own nearly fatal injuries from the assault were fixed by magic—the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms.  The child of alchemists, Donna feels cursed by the magical heritage that destroyed her parents and any chance she had for a normal life.  The only thing that keeps her sane and grounded is her relationship with her best friend, Navin Sharma.

When the darkest outcasts of Faerie—the vicious wood elves—abduct Navin, Donna finally has to accept her role in the centuries old war between the humans and the fey.  Assisted by Xan, a gorgeous half-fey dropout with secrets of his own, Donna races to save her friend—even if it means betraying everything her parents and the alchemist community fought to the death to protect.

Synopsis from Goodreads
You know how it feels when you want a story to go on and on?  Yeah, me too and that’s why I’m so sad that I’ve finished reading this fantastic debut book.  I can’t actually think of anything I disliked about this book.

The cover is gorgeous with the golden/bronze embossed pattern like the tattoos on Donna’s arms.  Even now I keep picking it up and looking at it.  It’s so pretty.

The main character in The Iron Witch is Donna Underwood.  I loved Donna right from the start.  She’s a real softy at heart, but when she needs to be, can be strong and determined.  I was entranced by her story and how she came to have the iron tattoos on her hands and arms.  It was fascinating to read about the lore, alchemists and The Order of the Dragon, and how Maker had repaired Donna’s damaged hands after the Skriker attack (I so hope I don’t ever bump into one of those).

Her best friend, Navin, was the kind of friend any girl (or guy) would love.  Kind, considerate, and above all ready to have an open mind about the things Donna tells him and not just brush her off as the freak the other kids at school see her as.  Oh, and Navin’s Dad apparently makes awesome curries!

Xan, oh yeah!  Xan is gorgeous, sexy and really cool.  As soon as we met him I knew there would be something different about him.  I don’t want to say to much and spoil it for you, but I’m sure we’re going to hear a lot more about Xan and his past in future books.  I do hope so anyway as I’d really love to know more about him.  Donna was a bit shy with him at first.  She considered herself a freak and couldn’t understand what this gorgeous guy saw in her.  They worked well together though. Definitely a kick-ass couple.

The plot is very well told and a lot of the loose ends are tied up, leaving just enough unsaid for me to want to read the sequel right now!  Unfortunately though, we have to wait until 2012 for that.  All in all, a totally absorbing and magical read.  I hope you love it as much as I did.

My rating:  5 stars


12 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

Great review. I've wanted to read this one since I saw the facinating cover. I didn't know it was a series though. How cool.

I'll look forward to reading this one, especially since it actually ties things up at the end of the book, something rare, lately at least in the ones I've been reading.

BooksforCompany said...

Great review, Your reviews are the just the right length! First review l have read on this book, l love the sound of it!!

Danny said...

I told you already that I want to read this one really bad. Now after reading your Review I need to read it like right now!! Great Review!!

Jo said...

Nice review! I've been waiting and waiting for this one!!!

T.B. said...

This book sounds like an interesting read. I'm also glad that it seems to have a history to it. That the world of the fey didn't just spring up out of nowhere. Great review!

Aylee said...

Somehow I overlooked this one when choosing my picks for DAC 2011 and now I have no idea why. It really sounds great! Thanks for the review and for letting me know that I should read this.

SJH (A Dream of Books) said...

Great review - I really need to read this book soon because it sounds amazing. I've heard about the gorgeous gold cover - is it a special Waterstones edition or are they all like that?

Jenny said...

I'm so excited to read this one! I love when you wish the books was 800 pages long because you're not ready to start reading:) Can't wait to meet Xan, thanks so much for this review!

Gina @ My Precious said...

Hey, ended up downloaded this from Amazon (US). Wish there was a way I could give you the credit. Ever though of posting some type of clickable link?

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I love the cover of this one too! I've been hearing such good things about this book. Xan sounds yummy! Thanks for the great review! :)

thebookfairyhaven said...

Ooh, I cannot wait to read this book and to meet the yummy Xan. I've been hearing nothing but great things about this book and your review definitely only adds to all the intrigue! Lovely review - I'll be sure to get a copy of this book asap!

Lauren said...

I just finished this book the other night and I definitely agree with most of the things you said about it in your review; I just wanted it to go on and on.... I simply can't wait to read the sequels!