Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins


MOCKINGJAY by Suzanne Collins

Publisher:  Scholastic Press
Released:  24th August 2010
Review Format: Paperback Edition (owned)
Read:  August 2010



Young Katniss Everdeen has survived the dreaded Hunger Games not once, but twice, but even now she can find no relief.  In fact, the dangers seem to be escalating: President Snow has declared an all-out war on Katniss, her family, her friends, and all the oppressed people of District 12.  The thrill-packed final installment of Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy will keep young hearts pounding.

Synopsis from Goodreads
My thoughts:  This is the final book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. What a fantastic series this has been.
What a dark, thought provoking book this was.  Out of the three books I actually found this one the hardest to read.  After the first 100 pages I had to put if down for a day before carrying on.

Katniss Everdeen has been through the Hunger Games twice and come out alive.  The question is, will she be alive for much longer with President Snow baying for her blood?  And poor Peeta!  How he has suffered at the hands of the Capitol.

The children ... at that scene I had to put the book down again and go make a cup of tea as a pretence to hide my tears.

I don't think this book is quite as good as the last two.  So much darker and quite scary and therefore I've only given this one four stars, but if you've read the first two you really MUST read this one.  It might not be quite as good as the others but it is still great!

My rating:  4 stars


9 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the final installment - a lot of people were disappointed. I thought it was a beautiful, powerful and fitting conclusion. Great review :)

Danny said...

First of all, I missed being here on your blog, I'm sorry I haven't left a comment latelty. Promise to make up for this:-)

I agree with you, the other books were better and I'm still ot sure how I liked the ending. I have to say though, that this was a perfect 3rd book for this series although it was so dark, it seemed right. I hope I made sense, lol!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I've not read this series. Now that you've completed it, would you recommend it? I've kinda got turned off because of all the hype...

T.B. said...

I'm so glad that you finally got to read Mockingjay, and enjoyed it! This was my favorite out of the three, and although it was dark and sinister at times, I felt that this was right for the story. I also cried when it came to the children, and especially about Prim.

Suzanne Collins also has another series that she wrote before The Hunger Games. The first book is called Gregor The Overlander, and the entire series is quite good. I recommend it if you haven't already read it yet. It's geared more to ages 12 and up though.

Great review!

Jenny said...

I love this series so much, I'm so glad you enjoyed it as well! I didn't think this one was as strong as the previous two either, but I think she had a heck of a task ahead of her trying to conclude Katniss's story. This one was definitely dark and hard to read, but all three of these are books I would recommend again and again. Really nice review!

Aylee said...

I loved this book. Definitely agree that it was a much darker book but I thought it made for the perfect conclusion.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Can agree, it's darker and creepy. The children scene was just horrible. Mockingjay doesn'T feel like a completely satisfying end to the trilogy, but I still liked it somehow.

227b0092-7a23-11e0-a8e6-000bcdcb8a73 said...

Question, HOW and WHERE do I get a paperback edition of Mockingjay in the US?

ps. great review, by the way. Catching Fire was my favourite but Mockingjay was just as great.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

You could try ordering through Book Depository UK as they ship free to the US.