Monday, 14 February 2011

Discussion on Shyness Round-Up

Last Monday I wrote a discussion post about Bookworms and Shyness.  I was totally gobsmacked at the amazing comments you posted in response!  If you haven't had chance to go back and read all the comments, I really suggest you take a few minutes to do so.

Out of the 26 comments, just 6 of you stated that you weren’t shy at all, and a couple more said you wouldn’t class yourselves as shy, but maybe a little introverted.  Annette from Annette’s Book Spot made a great point with:

“I do think there is some connection between maybe being "introverted" (as opposed to shy) and being a book worm.  The very fact that you can entertain yourself, all alone, for hours on end with just the pages of a book, kind of indicates that you are, at least somewhat introverted.” 

The greatest majority of you said that what I’d written about myself kind of reminded you of yourselves.  It seems that many of you would rather curl up on the sofa with your book, or a good film than go out clubbing and drinking.  And as Emma and Richard pointed out, it’s not just us bookworms, but authors too.  Emma gave me some food for thought when she said:

“And why are we like this?  A self-sampling group perhaps?  Naturally geared towards the introverted end of the scale, so people are chaotic and tiring, whereas books are safe?  I don't know.” 

I was really heartwarmed by all your lovely comments about me and about the post and how much you enjoyed it.  Thank you guys.  I love you!

6 comments:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

Love you, too! I'm a huge bookworm, and I've definitely never been a party animal. I'm not necessarily an introvert, but I like my alone time :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I'm a huge fan of any type of discussion post. I was happy to participate. Way to summarize the commentary. Nice work on the entire "project". So, you hunch was right ;-)

JL_Bryan said...

I was going to comment on the discussion post, but I was too shy.

The Household Goddess said...

Just stumbled across your blog, but felt instantly at home. I'm a S-L-O-W reader too, rather shy and very introverted.

T.B. said...

Haha, I love the comments everyone has written so far on the follow-up! I think it was a lot of fun, the discussion post, and I can't wait for another one. I was very surprised at the number of people who said they weren't shy, as I am definitely an introvert.

Small Review said...

I really enjoyed this discussion series. I agree with what Emma said about us being a self-sampling group. Reading is a very solitary activity to begin with.