Friday, 18 February 2011

Evolving Reviews

This week has been one of those weeks where I've not had a lot of time for reading.  On top of that, the books I am reading are for reviews and tours in March, which leaves me nothing, or very little to post about.

As I don't like just posting meme after meme to fill in the blanks, I thought I'd post some of the older reviews that I wrote for Goodreads before I started blogging.  When I started looking back I was really surprised at how much my thoughts on books and writing reviews has evolved over the last four or so months since I started up this blog.  My first reaction was, 'well I can't use that on my blog - it's awful!'  Then I thought it'd be fun to show you a couple anyway, just so you can see what I mean.  Look how short they are and how little information is given.




I HEART YOU, YOU HAUNT ME by Lisa Schroeder

I Heart You, You Haunt Me is the story of Ava, a teenager who lost her boyfriend, Jackson in a tragic accident.  The book starts with Jackson’s funeral and runs through about a year of Ava’s life, with sections looking back to when Jackson was still alive. With Jackson making it know he’s still around, Ava finds it hard to move on with her own life.

I wasn’t at all sure I’d like this book, but with it being so short and the fact that I’d heard good things about it, I thought I’d give it a go.  I Heart You, You Haunt Me took me about 2 hours to read and I did like it. It’s written in verse which took a bit of getting used to as I’ve never read a book in verse before, but then I began to enjoy the story. I give I Heart You, You Haunt Me 3 stars.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 




FAR CRY by John Harvey

Ruth is just a normal woman apart from the fact that her daughter Heather disappeared at the age of 10 and was later found dead. Accident or not? Ruth remarried in time and had another daughter who, also aged 10, disappeared after a music lesson. How could this happen to the same woman twice?

This book is enjoyable, although rather long and drawn out at 500+ pages when really it could have been told in 150 pages less. On occasions I found it slightly irritating with all the jumping to conclusions and 'gut instinct' involved, but a good story non the less.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Did you cringe like I did?  When you look back on your own reviews from maybe before you started your blog, or early on in your book blogging life, are you surprised by how much your style has changed too?


8 comments:

BooksforCompany said...

It's interesting as when l look back on my reviews l feel the same! From a few months back, l think they are terrible! lol
These aren't bad little reviews at all =)

Gina @ My Precious said...

Agreed. I'm such a perfectionist, I go back and look over old reviews - Hate Them! - then usually edit them. Too funny. You are brave to post "unedited" versions of old reviews. Even though I don't think yours are bad, just short.

The Household Goddess said...

I don't like just posting meme after meme to fill in the blanks

With that one phrase you have just won a life-long follower!

No need to be embarrassed by those reviews. First steps, no matter how unsteady, are worthy of celebration.

While I'd like to think my reviewing skills have improved over time, I'm still searching for a style. The problem is sometimes I feel really chatty and try to spark discussion, but other times I don't. Therefore my posts are rather inconsistant.

Attack of the Book! said...

Hahaha, that's the same thing I discovered when I looked back at my old reviews. That's so funny! Now, you can't shut me up! Well, unless the story got no reaction from me, then the review is short and awkward. Like this comment...

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I love this idea! :) I've started to post some of my older reviews of older reads, too...granted I've had to work on those reviews haha

Fabulous thoughts. I quite loved I Heart You, You Haunt Me.

Lauren said...

Those weren't bad reviews at all! Anyhow, as for your question, whenever I look over reviews that I did when I started blogging or even last year at this time, I have the tendency to cringe a little, because my style has changed dramatically and hopefully for the better. :)

Vicki said...

Before I started my blog, I used to post reviews on a UK consumer site and my word they were BAD! Even worse other people rate your reviews...and they were'nt kind about it either. Definite *cringe*

Small Review said...

Haha, this is great! My older reviews were a lot shorter too, but I was also writing them to post on Amazon. I think different venues require different types of reviews.

Someone looking on Goodreads or Amazon might prefer a quick blurb of a review. I think it's a different situation on blogs, and you've obviously adjusted very well :)