Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Review: Storm Warning by Toni Anderson




STORM WARNING by Toni Anderson

Publisher:  Carina Press
Released:  October 2010
Review Format:  Kindle Edition via Netgalley (with thanks)
Read:  February 2011

Sorcha Logan is looking for peace.  Recently returned to her hometown on Scotland's craggy coast, Sorcha wants to tame the spirits that made her flee.  When she finds a corpse in the surf, however, she can't suppress the memory of discovering her father's body.  Nor can she suppress the ghosts that haunt her-or the town's conviction that she's dangerous, and a witch.

Ben Foley is looking for a killer.  An American DEA agent, Ben is in town to investigate the suspicious death of his partner.  He's sure that Sorcha knows more than she's letting on-but the more time he spends with the sexy suspect, the less he can fight their illicit attraction.  And the less certain he is she's involved with a drug cartel.

But can Ben protect Sorcha from being set up? Or worse-killed?


Firstly we meet Ben Foley, who is an undercover DEA agent, as he is entering the house of a Columbian drugs baron and about to watch his partner and best friend die at the hands of those evil people.  He is determined to find out who the rest of this drugs gang are and put them all away for life and his enquiries lead him to a small Scottish town and to his main suspect, Sorcha.  Toni Anderson did such a great job of bringing Ben to life that I could picture him clearly and really connected with him.  Although he came across as hard and harsh at the beginning of the story, I could also see that soft side smouldering just below his skin.

Sorcha was a lovely main character and I really enjoyed reading about her.  She had a pretty nasty past which was now coming back to haunt her.  Literally.  For the last year Sorcha has been seeing the ghost of her Dad and hearing voices in her head.  She lost her long term boyfriend over it because he thought she was crazy and Sorcha is starting to think he might be right.  I connected with Sorcha straight away and we were both thrown into this fast paced plot head first.

I am not kidding when I say this was a fast paced story.  The action never stopped.  The whole story takes place in just one week real time.  What a great plot it was too. Incorporating a bit of everything – suspense, romance, paranormal, murder and mystery this book had it all and more.  Storm Warning is beautifully written, exciting, engrossing and a little bit sexy.  I loved it!  Totally.  The only slight niggle I had was the amount of times Sorcha got hurt and just seemed to bounce back immediately from some pretty nasty injuries. I don’t think this detracted from the story at all though and Storm Warning is getting 5 stars from me.  I think this is definitely a book you should put on your TBR list.  I know I’ll be looking out for more of Toni’s novels.

This book does contain some sex scenes and mentions of rape and I would say it is most suitable for the 16+ age group.

My rating:  5 stars


5 comments:

BooksforCompany said...

l do find books where a person will bounce back from an injury tends to make it feel less real for me!
Still sounds like a good book and l am glad you enjoyed it!

Mel said...

Sounds like you really enjoyed this! I read it a while ago and was entertained as well.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Sounds exciting and action packed. I've never heard of this one before. Is it consider YA or Adult? Just curious?

Aylee said...

Wow, I can't believe I've never heard of this one before. It sounds awesome!

Attack of the Book! said...

Hmmm, sounds like this would be a fun read, to at least see both Ben and Sorcha grow.

As for bouncing back from injuries, that's always a huge beef with me. Sometimes characters are hurt pretty bad and then they're doing every day things like there's no pain. Ugh, I don't like when that happens.

Either way, sounds like a good read, glad you liked it!