Monday, 25 April 2011

Book Review: The Cellar by A.J. Whitten




THE CELLAR by A.J. Whitten

Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released:  2nd May 2011
Review Format:  Kindle ARC (with thanks to Netgalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
Pages: 276
Meredith Willis is suspicious of Adrien, the new guy next door. When she dares to sneak a look into the windows of his house, she sees something in the cellar that makes her believe that Adrien might be more than just a creep - he may be an actual monster.

But her sister, Heather, doesn’t share Meredith’s repulsion. Heather believes Adrien is the only guy who really understands her. In fact, she may be falling in love with him. When Adrien and Heather are cast as the leads in the school production of Romeo and Juliet, to Heather, it feels like fate. To Meredith, it feels like a bad omen. But if she tries to tear the couple apart, she could end up in the last place she’d ever want to be: the cellar. Can Meredith convince her sister that she’s dating the living dead before it’s too late for both of them?

The Cellar is a young adult “Zombies meet Romeo and Juliet” horror novel. The book centres around 17 year old Meredith and her 16 year old sister Heather, who recently lost their father in a tragic accident. The chapters alternate between Meredith in the first person and Heather in third person, which I found a little confusing to begin with. Each of the chapters starts off with an illustration of a rather large beetle. I do like it when books do that – add little illustrations. Just a small touch, but it really makes a difference to me.

So … Meredith, Heather and their slightly extended family are trying to get on with their lives and come to terms with the tragedy of losing their father when the ramshackle house next door gets rented out to Adrien and his mother. Things quickly begin to hot up as Heather starts to fall for the newcomer. You see, Adrien is a zombie, but not your average stumbling, rotted body type zombie. THIS zombie is good looking and mysterious behind the sunglasses he never takes off, and soon has all the girls in school drooling after him and all the boys wanting to punch his lights out. All the girls, that is, apart from Meredith who just hasn’t fallen under his spell and is totally creeped out by him.

This fast paced story full of creepiness, mystery and action will definitely keep you turning pages, needing to know what happens next. It’s not for the faint hearted though as there’s a lot of gory stuff, torture and violence going on in those 276 pages.

The story was good, the characters enjoyable, but I didn’t really get attached enough to care totally what happened to them. It’s the first zombie story I’ve read and although I did like it, I think there was just a little too much gore for me.

My rating: 3 stars


10 comments:

Renu said...

Ahh, I love action & mystery, but I'm not really a fan of gore. Great review! :)

Blueicegal ♥ said...

I refuse to believe that a zombie can be good looking. I have watched way to many freaky Zombie movies to know otherwise. Zombie = dead walking corpse *shudders*

AtenRa @ Just Another Book Blog said...

I didn't mind the gory stuff but I totally agree with the not really getting attached to any of the characters.
Thanks for the review!

Jenny said...

I have to agree with Aly on this one - I have a really hard time picturing a good looking zombie. I just can't wrap my head around it! I'm not a big fan of fore either, I get freaked out and disgusted really easily, so I think I'll pass on this one but fantastic review!

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

I'm reading this one now. Not sure how much I like it.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Hmm, I've never read a zombie book before. I'm not really into a lot of blood and gore. I like mystery. Your review made the book sound enticing. Great job!

Rebecca said...

Sounds gory, but intriguing! :)

http://readingwithrebecca.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

Sounds gory, but intriguing!

http://readingwithrebecca.blogspot.com/

Missie said...

What? A good looking zombie? What is the world coming too?

I really don't mind if you make Vampires sparkle or if you give them wings, but please don't make zombie good looking. LOL

Okay, I'll admit, I'm kind of intrigued and I don't mind gore, but I don't know if I can get over the zombie thing.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

This one is in my TBR pile and I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, but I'll be wary of the gore. I'm not usually too put off by gory scenes, so I'm hoping I can still enjoy The Cellar. Thanks for the review :)