Sunday, 10 April 2011

Book Review: Tommy Nightmare by J.L. Bryan




TOMMY NIGHTMARE by J.L. Bryan
(Jenny Pox #2)

Publisher:  J.L. Bryan Books
Released:  11th April 2011
Review Format:  Kindle Edition (with thanks to J.L. Bryan)

While Fallen Oak recovers from the Jenny pox, someone new is hunting Jenny.  Like Jenny, Ashleigh Goodling belonged to a pair of opposites with powers that mirror each other.

Now Jenny and Seth must face the opposite of love...


A few months ago I reviewed Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan and I thought it was great. So when Mr Bryan asked me if I’d like to do a review for the second book in the series, Tommy Nightmare, I jumped at the chance! I think I actually nearly bit his hand off in my rush to grab myself a copy. I hope I didn’t leave any teeth marks! *grins*

You know how it is when you really enjoyed the first book in a series and when you read the second it can sometimes be a bit of a let-down? You’ve experienced that, yes? I know I have. Well, Tommy Nightmare definitely did not let me down and I loved it even more than the first book!

The characters J.L. Bryan writes are pretty amazing. I loved Jenny and her ‘opposite’, Seth in book one. They were so easy to get to know and great fun to hanging around with. Just in case you don’t know, these guys have special gifts, only Jenny doesn’t see hers as a ‘gift’ but a huge burden. I think I can tell you without giving out any spoilers that Jenny’s touch kills. Even the slightest touch from her would give you the ‘Jenny Pox’ and you’d probably die a horrible, painful death. Seth is her opposite, and then there’s Ashleigh … Listen, I’m not going to tell you anymore about Jenny Pox, you’ll just have to read the darned book!

But anyway, I was talking about the characters. In book two, the first character we meet is new to the scene. Tommy. Tommy is living with a group of other boys in a foster home with, lets just say, not so nice foster parents. He’s not an evil kid and he can’t help having a ‘gift’. I really liked Tommy, or maybe more to the point I felt sorry for him and I really enjoyed the character. There are a few new characters brought into this story, but I think you get my point about how much I loved reading about them.

It amazes me how this author sets the scene. There are no long, drawn out descriptions of anywhere, but he seems to implant the picture into your brain without you realising it and the plots are always fast paced and exciting, with Tommy Nightmare being no exception. There was nothing about this book I didn’t like. I flew through it in a matter of days (which is really fast for me) and it’s actually taken me longer to digest the story and decide how to go about writing this review without it being full of spoilers, than it did to read the book.

There is some swearing, the occasional sex scene and a bit of gore in here, but this is not a horror book and you won’t have to check under the bed before you go to sleep after reading. Age-wise, I think it’s pretty suitable for anyone over 16. Do I recommend it? OMG yes! This series is definitely not one to miss out on. Seriously!  Go get yourself a copy!*

My rating: 5 stars


*Tommy Nightmare will be available for the Kindle and Nook in the next 2-3 days and at Smashwords by tonight. It's available NOW at Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.com | Smashwords

9 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

I've not read Jenny Pox only your earlier review. But, I must start off by saying Tommy Nightmare has a killer cover. The book sounds awesome. The characters well developed and enchanting. If I want to get to this book though, I'll have to find a way to read the first book. Sigh... hopefully someday.

Is this the end of the series or does the author plan for more books. Are the books stand alones or do they all have cliffhanger endings?

BooksforCompany said...

Ohhh, purple cover <3
I agree with Gina, great cover.
Thank you for this review Karen, this series sounds interesting =)

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Gina: If you want to get Jenny Pox, I've just read on JL Bryan's blog that it's now selling at 99 cents for Kindle (and Nook but I know you've got a Kindle).

Neither of them have major cliffhangers and each story is finished off to a nice conclusion, but it still leaves you wanting to know what is going to happen next to the characters. You just know there is more! You would need to read the first though to understand the second. There is a third book coming out later this year and I'm dying to get it. I really love this series. It comes highly recommended by me :)

Jodie: Totally! I really should have mentioned the cover. It is fab! I love purple and Tommy looks just how I imagined him too.

Suzy Turner said...

Well, you certainly know how to 'sell' a book!! It sounds excellent. The cover is certainly creepy though!

Danny said...

Pushy and Heather are so crazy over Jenny Pox, just like you. I neeed to read this book!! Specially after your glowing review of book2...

thebookfairyhaven said...

I've heard of Jenny Pox but have also not read it yet. I have however, seen mroe than one frantastic review for the previous book which makes me think that I should really get around to reading both Jenny Pox as well as the second book. It's really great when the second book is even better than the first, isn't it?

Gina @ My Precious said...

@Slowest Bookworm - Thank you! Thank you! for the heads up on Jenny Pox I picked it up this am for a steel, just like you said .99. Thanks again for the tip off! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jenny said...

Yay! So excited to read this one! I loved Jenny Pox so I can't wait to meet Tommy:) He writes great characters I think, and since I'm first and foremost a character kind of girl, I always look forward to reading his stuff:)

Miss Page-Turner said...

I really like your review, you make the book sound so good. What bothers me are its cover and the summary that leaves me totally clueless about the book's content