Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Review: Dead Spell by Belinda Frisch




DEAD SPELL by Belinda Frisch

Publisher:  Create Space
Released:  4th March 2011
Review Format:  Kindle Edition for review with thanks to Belinda
Pages: 197

Brea Miller is straddling the social lines of her small town high school. Her mother is a control freak, her father moved away under mysterious circumstances years ago, and her best friend, Harmony, is haunted by Tom, the evil spirit that came through her Ouija board. When Harmony dies, Brea becomes the target and she must figure out who Tom is and what he wants before she is next.

Brea goes from reclusive to reckless, breaking down barriers at school and at home by asserting herself in a way only Harmony knew how. She is torn between living her life or her dead best friend’s and between the boys in each of them. Thrown headlong into Harmony's dark world, Brea realizes that even best friends have secrets.

Dead Spell is the perfect book if you’re looking for a quick read. At just 197 pages of fast flowing spookiness, I finished it in just a couple of evenings.

I really enjoyed the main characters, Brea and Harmony and their boyfriends, Jaxon and Adam and I loved reading about the girls lifelong friendship. Both girls were struggling with different aspects of their life and helping each other through with a little help from the boys. Adam, Harmony’s boyfriend was such a great guy. He was the kind of boyfriend any girl would want - sensitive, caring and loving and I really wished that Harmony would have trusted him more. I did like Jaxon, but it took me quite a while to warm to him.

Reading about Tom, the ghost who was haunting Harmony and making her do things to harm herself was really creepy. With her mother too ill to care, Harmony tried to deal with Tom’s ghost on her own, but things have been getting way out of hand and Brea is drawn in, which puts her in Tom’s spotlight too. Some of the things Belinda Frisch came up with for Tom to do to the girls was really freaky and I was quite jumpy about them for a while after putting the book down, but I totally love it when that happens because if I’m reading about spooky stuff I want to feel spooked!

The plot was intriguing, with lots of twists and turns and I didn’t guess the ending so it was a nice surprise … well, maybe not so nice, but still great.

I would definitely recommend this book to older teens and adult readers. The storyline deals with some pretty adult themes like drugs, suicide, mental illness and sex so I don’t think the book is suitable for younger teens. 

My rating:  4 stars


6 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

I'd not heard of this book before reading your review. I really like that its short. The cover is quite enticing and after reading your review I'm definitely going to give this one a try. Its sounds like I shouldn't read it while alone in the house, though. lol

Great Review!

Jenny said...

This one does sound spooky, I'm such a wuss when it comes to anything ghost related, so I'm sure I would be disturbed by the things Tom does for days after reading. This one is new to me, thank so much for sharing this review!

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Awesome review!!! I've not heard of this before either, but I'm definitely going to check it out now! :)

Vicki said...

I haven't heard of this one before but it sounds great. I love a quick spooky read. Great review.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I've never heard of this one before, but it sounds nice and spooky. I hate it when supposedly scary books turn out to lack any fright factor, but it doesn't seem like Belinda Frisch held back with the creepiness. Great review :)

Debra's Book Cafe said...

Great review... I really do like the sound of this one... Now its added to my ever growing wish list... :-)