Tuesday, 31 May 2011

Book Review: Laney by Joann I. Martin Sowles


LANEY by Joann I. Martin Sowles

Publisher:  Brookehaven Publishing
Released:  October 2010
Review Format: Paperback
Source:  Received from the author for a fair review
Pages:  285
Series:  The Brookehaven Vampires #1

In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life-that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he? As Laney's sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure - including a love she didn't know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge.

As she fights for her life, and Oliver's love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn't so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver's most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn...

I was so excited to receive this book for review as it had been on my wish list for quite a while. I’ve had this kind of soft spot for vampires ever since I read and fell in love with Twilight, and this is definitely a book that Twilight fans will love!

If I hadn’t known before hand, I would never have believed this book was Joann’s debut novel. She’s done a fantastic job with the writing. The plot is fun and exciting and there are lots of twists and turns. I simply could not guess what was going to happen next!

Like Twilight, we have a small town, vampires, werewolves and other paranormal nasty’s, but that’s where the plot similarities end. Not all the vampires in The Brookehaven Vampires are sexy hunks, although Oliver, the male love interest in the story most certainly was swoon worthy! I loved that although there was an instant attraction between Laney and Oliver, both were at first too shy to make the first move to let the other know and the romance moved at a nice smooth pace. I just hate it when the main characters are chomping all over each other immediately so it was nice and refreshing to watch these two adorable characters fall in love slowly.

Laney is definitely a page turner and I can’t wait to get my teeth into the second book in the series, Darkness, which is out later this summer. This is definitely one for all you Twilight lovers out there. It’s seriously good!

My rating: 5 stars


5 comments:

Book Passion for Life said...

Glad you enjoyed this :) I've had it on the Kindle for some time now but haven't managed it yet. Good review, can't wait to read it. Donna

BooksforCompany said...

Sounds like a great book! Definitely one to read when l get the chance =)
Thanks for the review Karen!

Raimy-rawr said...

great review, I definitely want this one! :) x

Gina @ My Precious said...

This sounds really good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This is a book and a series I'm not familiar with. I really like the pretty cover, too.

Thanks for the great, spoiler free review and introduction to this new book.

Small Review said...

"I just hate it when the main characters are chomping all over each other immediately"

Haha, yes, I feel the same way. Good to hear that doesn't happen here. :)