Saturday, 7 May 2011

In My Mailbox #27 - The Excuse Edition

In My Mailbox is a great meme from The Story Siren.  If you'd like to take part, visit The Story Siren's IMM page for further details.

This week has been a pretty big haul for me.  I wasn't actually planning on getting ANY books this week, but then, well you know ;-)  I have some really good excuses ...
(all clicky links are to Goodreads)




WHERE SHE WENT by Gayle Forman

Ok, my excuse for buying this one?  Well, I read If I Stay last year so I just couldn't not read this one ... right?







MONTACUTE HOUSE by Lucy Jago

I don't need an excuse for this one as it was a gift from the lovely Jodie over at Books for Company.  Thank you Jodie!





LOOKING FOR ALASKA by John Green

I've been wanting to read this one for ages and when I was walking round Tesco doing my grocery shopping on Tuesday, I saw it sitting there on the shelf.  Then I noticed it was in the BOGOF (buy one, get one free) section and so was Between Shades of Gray! Well, that was just too much of a chance to miss as I've been longing for both these books for ages.



BETWEEN SHADES OF GRAY by Ruta Sepetys (X 2)

Excuse as above.  Yes, it does say X 2 because after buying this one on Tuesday, what should pop through my letterbox from Puffin on Wednesday morning but a copy of this for me to review.  So my dear readers, I will be running a giveaway for my extra copy of this later in the week.  (It will be UK only I'm afraid as the old purse is a bit on the light side now.)



THE EYES OF KAREN CONNORS by Lois Duncan

Ha, ha, ha.  Those of you who know me will see the relevance in this title.  It's a second hand copy off Amazon Market place and cost me 1p.  With the name and the price, I just could not give this one a miss and in my defense, I did order it about 3 weeks ago.  (How am I doing on the excuses?)


CONVICTION OF A WITCH by Suza Kates
Kindle Edition

I've been waiting for this one to be released for ages.  I loved Whisper of a Witch, which was the very first Kindle book I bought, so when I popped over to Suza's blog in the week and saw that this one was now available and for a bargain price, I just could not resist.  If you've not given this series a try yet, you really should!




DRIP DROP TEARDROP by Samantha Young (a novella)
Kindle Edition

Ok, the only excuse I have for buying this one was that it was only 69p on Amazon and I was reading and loving Moon Spell by Samantha. (My review of Moon Spell will be up tomorrow - don't miss it if you're a shape shifter fan as it was pretty awesome!)


The next three books I have the same excuse for. I had to make a trip out to the post office on Thursday and the post office is right opposite the library, I just couldn't miss the chance to pop in.  It would have been really silly to just walk past wouldn't it?  I mean, all those lovely books sitting waiting for me ...




NUMBERS by Rachel Ward

I read it already!  It's fab!  Review to come soon.








ELSEWHERE by Gabrielle Zevin

I've heard you all talking about this one in the past.  A lot of you have given it great ratings on Goodreads.  It's all you fault my friends ...






THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER by Sarah Dessen

This is another author I hear a lot about on the blogs.  I have never read one of her books so I thought it was about time I gave them a go.  For those of you who've read and enjoyed Sarah's work, did I make a good choice with this title?




So just for a bit of fun, what did you think of my excuses?  Were they good enough to not get me in trouble for stamping all over my book buying ban? Marks out of 5? ... and don't forget to let me know what you got in your mailbox this week!

30 comments:

BooksforCompany said...

LOL! Karen,
l think most of them are good excuses ;)
lol
Library books are allowed when on a book buying ban ;) Well l say so but it still counts as getting books!
I am reading Where She Went right now =)

Mel said...

Not excuse but fully valid reasons all!! :-)

Some great books there so no blame for getting any of them!

Vivienne said...

I dare not go in Tescos! It will cost me too much money.

Jules (The Great, The Good and The Bad) said...

What a great selection! I love all the excuses :)

I always pick books up in Tesco as well...

Jules

Raimy-rawr said...

I may have to visit my local Tesco and see what they have! :O
some good books and you have perfectly valid reasons I'd say! :D

Small Review said...

Ha, I love your excuses! I think they're all valid. 10/10 I see no book buying ban breach!

Cliona said...

Wow, I've never realised how awesome Tesco was for books! And your excuses were brilliant :)

Kate said...

I think we can let you off considering how good your excuses are :)

The Truth About Forever is one of my favourite Sarah Dessen books so yeah, you did good.

Looking forward to your reviews

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

I soooo want to read Where She Went! Our library still hasn't gotten it in. :/ I may have to order it for my Nook!

Enjoy all your awesome books this week!

Gina @ My Precious said...

You are so funny. I loved radi g each and every excuse you had. I too have Shades of Grey. Not read it yet. Many of your books I'm not familiar with. I'm going to have to spend some time reading summaries. Hope you enjoy them all.

Dizzy C said...

Maybe a ban from Tesco's and the Post Office would work better ;)

Have a good week

carol

Celesta said...

It always makes sense to go the library, even if it's not as close as your other errands! Good IMM!

Here's my IMM

Sally said...

Lol! That's a lot of books when you're trying not to get any! But all your excuses are good so I don't see a problem! I really want to read Numbers soon- I'll look out for your review. x

Sally said...

Great books this week. All valid excuses. I loooooved Where She Went everytime I see it I want to re-read it.
Happy reading.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-18.html

erikasbuddy said...

Nice haul!!

I want to read "Looking for Alaska"! I heard some good things about it :)

Paranormal Wasteland IMM:
http://paranormalwastelands.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox.html

basma aal said...

I just reviewed Between shades of gray and it was great. Hope you enjoy it too. here is my IMM: http://basma-aal.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-27.html

Aisle B said...

seriously this is the neverending mailbox!

I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews on Between Shades of Gray. Mrs Q loved it and I need to borrow her copy soon.

Amazing mailbox girl :)

Jenny said...

I love how you rationalized all your books this week, I do that all the time. I usually chock it up to needing the books for "mental health" reasons, it's a nice all-encompassing rationalization:) I still need to read If I Stay and Where She Went, I think I might be one of the only book bloggers that hasn't read them yet:)

Vy (Vy's Blog) said...

I always end up finding an excuse to buy a book but yours are better :) I still haven't read If i Stay yet but it's on my TBR list.

Dustin Disco said...

I can't wait to jump into Gayle Forman's books and need a copy of Between Shades of Gray ASAP! You got a lot of excellent books. Happy Reading!

DustinDisco.com

Clover said...

Wow, what great books! I don't think any excuses are needed to pick up Where She Went, Looking For Alaska or Between Shades of Gray! They are all AMAZING.

Also, you are in for a treat if you haven't read any Sarah Dessens before, she's such a wonderful author!

Happy reading to you :) Do enjoy them all!

Jennifer A said...

Yay for Looking for Alaska! I still need to pick that book up. I love John Green.

Numbers has such a neat cover!

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Emily said...

Yay for Where She Went! I haven't read Looking for Alaska, but I LOVED another one of John Green's novels, Paper Towns.

DarlingNickey said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

The Jace Letter in CoFA only came with the Barns & Noble edition, that's why I have 2 copies of CoFA now :P

I really love your mailbox! Looking for Alaska and The Truth about Forever are on my reading list, too :) And although I have never heard about Gabrielle Zevin, I will add Elsewhere to my reading pile now :) Thank you!

Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant
PS I'm a new follower, I love British book blogs :)

The Dream Read said...

Great books! I really want to read Between shades of gray.
I have bought and already read The truth about forever by Sarah Dessen. She's a really good author and she writes very well.
Happy Reading!

This is my blog:
www.thedreamread.blogspot.com

Holly Castor said...

New Follower :)

Where she went is an absolutely amazing book, I loved it.
Great books this week :)
MY IMMB

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I LOVE Sarah Dessen -- and The Truth about Forever is one of my favorites! It was the very first one I read =) I hope you love it!! Wes is swoony ;)

Karis Jacobstein said...

Elsewhere is one of my favorite books. EVER. Where She Went and Looking for Alaska are both fabulous too! Enjoy!

http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-my-mailbox-monday-4.html

Amber said...

I've got Where She Went too. I just need to read it! I read Elsewhere a while ago. I thought the premise sounded super interesting. Hope you like them all!

Uniquely Moi Books said...

I do hope that you enjoy Between Shades of Grey! It's a great book but so heartbreaking to read :(