Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Book Review: Flawless by Lara Chapman


FLAWLESS by Lara Chapman

Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Released:  May 2011
Review Format:  Paperback
Source:  From Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review (thank you!)
Pages:  255

Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny-all right, enormous-flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do-she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.
Synopsis from Goodreads.
Flawless is the retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac and it’s about a girl called Sarah who has an unusually large nose! It is a story of friendship, loyalty and love with many hilarious scenes which had me laughing out loud. I really enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of the chapters and at just 255 pages, it was a quick and easy read.

Sarah was an interesting and intelligent character and I liked her right from the word go. I loved some of her snarky comebacks to the kids who laughed at her nose. The book is written from her point of view and I enjoyed reading her thoughts and feelings about her best friend Kristen and the man of her dreams, who unfortunately is also the guy Kristen is crushing on. Although I liked Kristen and loved the way she stuck up for Sarah when other people stared at her nose or made nasty comments, I also found her quite annoying at times. She pushed Sarah into doing things she didn’t want to do and that they both knew were wrong. I really wanted Sarah to stand up for herself and say no! Rock on the other hand was pretty cool. He was sweet, intelligent and good looking … and he loved to read! What more could any girl want from a guy?

I had to think about why some of the secondary characters were there at all. Jen was one such character and it wasn’t until nearer the end of the book and I realised the story was all about loyalty, and then I understood why. I had mixed feelings about Sarah’s mum and I didn’t like how she seemed to just leave Sarah to bring herself up.

I enjoyed Flawless although the plot was a bit predictable and I pretty much guessed the ending within the first few pages, although when I got to those last couple of chapters, I was surprised how emotional I got. Flawless was definitely an enjoyable read but I thought it just needed that little extra 'umph' to make it stand out from the crowd.

My rating: 3 stars


6 comments:

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

I've seen this book around, but haven't read up on it. It sounds really interesting! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing your review!

Raimy-rawr said...

Yay glad you enjoyed it too.. I didn't get too emotional... Im too hard lol

Gina @ My Precious said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina @ My Precious said...

This book makes me think of the American sitcom "The Brady Bunch". That show is the only reason I even know about Cyrano. They did one episode revolving around him.

Anyways, that put aside, I still don't know if I'd be drawn to a book such as this one. If you'd rated it higher, I may have given it more of a chance, but for right now, I think I have other books I'm more excited about right now.

Thanks for the honest review.

Shelagh said...

Well thought out review! I'm glad you enjoyed Flawless - I haven't felt any urgency to read it, but I may just give it a chance if I spot it at the bookshop.

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Amy said...

Really great review. I like the idea of this book. Sounds like a very sweet story.

Amy@adumbrations