Monday, 6 June 2011

Book Review: Lost Voices by Sarah Porter


LOST VOICES by Sarah Porter

Publisher:  Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Released:  4th July 2011
Review Format:  e-galley
Source:  Received for review with thanks to NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pages: 304
Series:  Lost Voices Trilogy #1

Fourteen-year-old Luce has had a tough life, but she reaches the depths of despair when she is assaulted and left on the cliffs outside of a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village. She expects to die when she tumbles into the icy waves below, but instead undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid. A tribe of mermaids finds Luce and welcomes her in—all of them, like her, lost girls who surrendered their humanity in the darkest moments of their lives. Luce is thrilled with her new life until she discovers the catch: the mermaids feel an uncontrollable desire to drown seafarers, using their enchanted voices to lure ships into the rocks. Luce possesses an extraordinary singing talent, which makes her important to the tribe—she may even have a shot at becoming their queen. However her struggle to retain her humanity puts her at odds with her new friends. Will Luce be pressured into committing mass murder?

The first book in a trilogy,Lost Voicesis a captivating and wildly original tale about finding a voice, the healing power of friendship, and the strength it takes to forgive.

I was really excited to read Lost Voices as I’ve never read a book about mermaids before. Unfortunately it wasn’t quite as enthralling as I’d hoped and I was left feeling a little disappointed.

Both of Luce’s parents are dead and she now has to live with her drunken, mean and cruel Uncle.  She goes to school and all the kids there are mean too.  Luce has no-one apart from a young, mentally challenged younger boy,  who she can really call a friend.   I truly felt sorry for Luce at the beginning of this story, and as I had kind of guessed already that she must be a mermaid (from the synopsis and cover of the book it really is quite obvious and this isn’t a spoiler) I was desperate to reach the point in the book where she actually became one.  This must surely be where the story really comes to life and Luce stops being the victim, right?  Erm, no. 

Lost Voices was an easy read and I loved reading about how Luce coped with the change and all her new abilities.  There were some lovely descriptive passages about Luce’s thoughts and feelings on becoming a mermaid, especially her new found voice.  I did find though that the storyline got quite repetitive.  The ship sinking scenes became very same-ish after the first couple and Luce always seems to be miserable and going off on her own someplace to get away from the mean mermaid girls.

During the first part of the book I had compassion for Luce, but later I started to lose interest in her character.  I did enjoy reading about her life as a mermaid and her singing, but the fact that nearly all the other mermaids seemed to have it in for Luce got a little boring after a while.  I know it probably would have been predicable, but I would have loved for the book to have ended with the death of a certain nasty, smartass mermaid and Luce having some friends at least.

Would I recommend Lost Voices?  I would probably suggest you try to borrow this one from the library or from a friend.

My rating:  2 stars

11 comments:

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I was kind of curious about this one, but I've read a lot of pretty negative reviews, so think I'll give it a miss!

Danny said...

You are not the first that is disappointed and I think I will most definitely skip this one...

Honest and great review, thank you for this!

Mel said...

I have this on my kindle from netgalley as well but I don't really feel like picking up just yet after that! Maybe next month...

Jules (The Great, The Good and The Bad) said...

I didn't really fancy reading this one. I haven't really read a positive review about it yet.

Cliona said...

Pity you didn't like it, I might have picked it up only for your review. (I don't mean that in a bad way) Thanks for your honesty!

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Sorry you didn't enjoy this read! Thank you for sharing your honest review though, I appreciate that!

BooksforCompany said...

l think you either love or hate this, although l thought it was ok! Very strange though ..

Gina @ My Precious said...

Bummer, I thought this one might be good, but you rarely rate a book a "two".

Sounds like this book is a mermaid "mean girls" book, huh?

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I love the premise and cover, but predictability just kills it for me. Great honest review :)

Casey (The Bookish Type) said...

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one! There seem to be a lot of mermaid books coming out right now, so maybe another one will be more your thing =)

Gina @ My Precious said...

After reading this book, I've come back to re-read your review. Wow, I totally forgot you gave this one a two! That's unusual for you. I wasn't quite as bothered by this one as you were.

However, I thought the pace was pretty slow and I agree, it would have been so much better if the poopy character was waxed and Luce ended up being well liked. Maybe by the end of the trilogy it will all work out for her.

PS: are you planning on continuing the series?