Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Book Review: Numbers: The Chaos by Rachel Ward


NUMBERS:  THE CHAOS by Rachel Ward

Publisher:  Chicken House
Released:  June 2010
Review Format:  Paperback
Source:  For review from Chicken House - with thanks!
Pages:  345
Series:  Book 2

Adam sees 'numbers' - when he looks in peoples' eyes he can see their death-dates, just like his mum Jem used to. Adam has trouble dealing with his awful gift, and when he realises that everyone around him has the same series of numbers, he becomes deeply afraid of what might happen in 2025.
Desperate to find out what could be about to go wrong, Adam spends hours researching possibilities - war, nuclear accidents, killer viruses. He knows something big is coming, but what? And is there anything he can possibly do about it?
Synopsis from Goodreads.

Numbers: The Chaos is the second instalment in the Numbers series and OMG I loved this book!  I just want to mention the beautiful cover.  Online the background just looks plain white, but in real life the white is actually covered with sparkly silver numbers and it looks awesome!

The Chaos continues the story about 10 years after the end of Numbers 1 and is set mainly in London, England.  Just like Jem in book 1, Adam can see the numbers.  Something very bad is going to happen in London and many of the people Adam looks at have their date as 1 January 2027.  Adam isn’t the only one who knows about the 1st January.  Sarah has been having nightmares about a fire, a baby and a boy with a scarred face for the last few months.  She doesn’t understand it and she’s scared.

Rachel Ward’s writing is amazing and I was totally immersed in the plot, so much so that as we were reaching the crescendo, I was virtually at panic stations with my heart nearly fighting its way out of my chest.  Do you get so intensely involved in a storyline that you have to remind yourself that it is just a story?

What can I say about the main characters, Adam and Sarah?  I don’t know how to put it without just saying that they were totally awesome.  Rachel Ward somehow manages to take a real person, squash them up into a book and suddenly there’s this explosion of words that make up an intensely real character.

Just as with Numbers, The Chaos is a very quick read.  The 345 pages just flew by for me and before I knew it I was at the end and wishing for more.  You’ll be pleased to know that there isn’t a major cliff hanger at the end of The Chaos and the series could quite easily end there, but I can guarantee that you’ll still be desperate to read more so it’s quite lucky that Numbers 3: Infinity is out now too (published 3rd June 2011 in the UK).

I totally recommend this series to you if you’re an older teen/adult.  There are mentions of rape, incest, drugs and a lot of f-bombs.  If you’ve read previous reviews of mine, you’ll know I’m not one for swearing in books, but somehow in Numbers, these just do not seem inappropriate.

My rating: 5 stars


4 comments:

Danny said...

Geee, again a glowing review !!! I have to read this books! Oh and... I love theUK covers even more than the US ones! Great review :)) I think you good me hooked!:)

Amy @ Turn the Page said...

Great review! I may have to check this series out! Thanks :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've wondered so much about this series, and I'm officially dying to read them! Awesome review! :)

Gina @ My Precious said...

You've really excited me about this series. I hope I have time to read it really soon.