Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Book Review: Need by Carrie Jones



NEED by Carrie Jones

Publisher:  Brilliance Audio
Narrated by:  Julia Whelan
Released:  2009 in audio format
Review Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Own
Series:  Need #1
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.
Synopsis from Goodreads.

I’ve had this book on my wish list for the longest time, but then Bloomsbury sent me a copy of Captivate for review, which is the second in the series and it gave me the shove I needed to get myself a copy of Need.

I was first drawn to it by the beautiful cover. I love her gold lips and really wanted to know what the significance of the gold was. Well now I know, but I’m not going to tell you just in case you haven’t read it yet *grins evilly*.

We meet Zara as she’s travelling to Maine to live with her grandmother after the death of her father. She’s still grieving and does not want to be there and she’s really pee’d at her mother for sending her away. To deal with her fears and frustrations, Zara has this strange coping mechanism where she reels off the names of phobias and what they are a fear of. I learned that there are some really strange and peculiar phobias out there!

As the story progresses we begin to realise that her friends and family are not all they seem, neither is the weird man that’s been following her. I liked how open minded Zara was about the things her friends were telling her and I enjoyed her way of thinking, although I have to admit that sometimes she really did have stupid ideas that had me yelling at her to stop being so dense!  On her first day of school, Zara met Nick, a good looking guy who she becomes friends with although she really would like it to be more. Nick was totally cute, even when he was angry and he made the perfect ‘love interest’ for Zara.

I thought Need was an awesome paranormal story, with Pixie’s and Were’s galore. It’s a really quick read and extremely engrossing and has definitely left me really excited to start Captivate.

My rating: 4 Stars

7 comments:

Cait said...

Interesting review, I wasn't that much of a fan of this but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Bloomsbury sent me entice, the 3rd book, if you want it?

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I've had this series on my shelf for ages, but it never totally appealed to me. I've heard the first book is quite good, but the rest don't really live up to it. I'll be interested to see what you think of the other books! :)

Christy @TheReaderBee said...

Great review! I really like this series, and I'm looking forward to reading book #4. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Aylee said...

I wasn't initially wondering, but now I do want to know the significance of the gold, darn you! :)

BooksforCompany said...

Oh l really need to read this series!

Small Review said...

This is a great review. I've read the book and I didn't even like it, but your enthusiasm and hints about the plot has me wanting to read the book again!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I can get this one at my digital library. I have 3 marked to read. I've not really heard a lot of good things about this series.

You've given me a different perspective, so maybe I will give these a try sooner than later, especially since they are quick and easy reads - just my style.