Monday, 4 July 2011

Book Review: Scary Mary by S.A. Hunter



SCARY MARY by S.A. Hunter

Released:  August 2006
Review Format:  Kindle Edition
Source:  Own - bought



Mary just wants to be left alone, but the cheerleaders, jocks, guidance counselors, and ghosts won't stop harassing her. When a new boy starts school, he surprises Mary by befriending her. That's a rare thing for the school freak, but her unusual abilities put a rift in their budding friendship when Mary has to tell Cy that his home is haunted and not by Casper, the friendly ghost.
Synopsis from Goodreads.
Scary Mary is a spooky Young Adult ghost story that had the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end and shivers running up and down my spine. It freaked me out quite a bit at times … but not enough to stop me reading!

Mary, the main character, had me laughing out loud at her snarkyness to the school Counselor and some of the other kids. She was a fun character to read about, but at times it was also quite sad as she was the school freak and the other kids let her know it. I was glad she had a best friend, Rachel, who really stuck up for her. They made a good team.

I enjoyed the plot. It was well written and easy to follow with a really neat twist that I wasn’t expecting at all. There was a really good balance of funny, sad, heart-stoppingly scary and really cute moments right up until the climax, which was super freaky (you might want to hide behind a cushion when you get to that bit LOL) and full of action and suspense. I found myself holding my breath when this whirlwind of action started and when it was over I thought that was the end and everything had been wrapped up nicely. But then …

So you kind of guessed I loved this story in all its spookiness and you’re wondering why I only rated it at 3 stars? Well, after enjoying it so much and loving the climax, I really disliked the last 3% (reading on Kindle so % and not pages) and that spoiled it for me. It was just totally weird. That last section just did not fit in with the rest of the story at all. It was like it had been written by someone else and just stuck on the end to make the proverbial ‘happy ending’. It was a real ‘WTF?’ moment. Just … no. If this book had ended at 97% it would have been 4 stars from me all the way.

Do I recommend this book? Well yes, I do. It was a great book and I was happy enough with what I thought was the ending before the bit I just mentioned above.

My rating: 3 stars


7 comments:

Small Review said...

How frustrating! I hate it when you read a book and you're loving it and then BAM! the ending totally sucks. Sorry to hear that happened here.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

@Small Review Tell me about it! The strange thing is, the story ended and was actually very well done. It was creepy and funny and probably something you'd enjoy.  There was no need whatsoever for her to carry on that extra 3%. It was as if she was aiming for a certain word count and just had to stick something on the end to hit target. If I hadn't had that WTF moment at the end it would most definitely have been a 4 star review.

Vicki said...

Oh no! What a shame. it sounded so great as well.

Vivienne said...

I thought it ounded really good until you mentioned the end. I was going to add it to my TBR.

Gina @ My Precious said...

Well, I picked this one up for free on my kindle. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed 97% of it, but now you have my curiosity piqued because I want to know what the ending was and why you didn't like it. :-) Maybe I'll read it for the Show Me the Free Challenge?

fiction-books said...

Hi Karen,

Don't know how, but I just came across your blog, so have signed up as a follower and on twitter, before I have another senior moment and lose you again!!

I must say that I have never thought about reading YA as a genre, although it seems to be a popular trend right now, so I guess it's time for me to give it a go as well!!

I notice that you have some Mary Higgins Clark and Lynda La Plante, in your mailbox, both of whom are my kind of author.

Also I see that you have acquired both Layton Green books on kindle, so I would be really interested in what you think of them, as I am utterly caught up in the whole character of Dominic Grey.

Like yourself, I tend to be quite a slow reader (not enough hours in the day basically) and I look on in envy at fellow bloggers who seem to get through a book a day almost!!!

Good to meet you.

Yvonne

S.A. Hunter said...

Hi Karen,

I'm sorry that I haven't come across your review until now. I am very interested in what disappointed you at the end of the story. Was it the resolution with Cy? I hope you can share your thoughts as I would be interested in them. I have written a sequel though I understand if you don't have time (or possibly the inclination) to read it. Please contact me at sahutner(at)sahunter.net if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,
S.A. Hunter