Saturday, 2 July 2011

Book Review: Transparent Lovers by Scott Nicholson



TRANSPARENT LOVERS by Scott Nicholson

Released:  November 2010
Review Format:  Kindle Edition
Source:  Received from the author in exchange for an honest review (thanks Scott!)


Private investigator Richard Steele must solve his most difficult case ever—his own murder—while caught between women on both sides of the grave. His lover Lee is tangled up in the mess he left behind, and his dead ex-wife has been waiting on the other side for her chance at revenge.

In a race against time as his spirit slips away, Richard confronts his many, many failings and faces a power beyond his understanding--love.

And it's going to be a hell of a final showdown.

Synopsis from Goodreads.
Richard Steele was a private investigator before he was shot dead. Now he has to make his mind up whether he wants to go to heaven or hell, and to go to heaven he first has to prove his worthiness by passing a test and solving his own murder.

Transparent Lovers is a novella of about (I’m guessing as I read it on my Kindle) 120-130 pages and was a very quick and humorous read which I greatly enjoyed.

I was surprised how quickly I became very involved in the characters lives (or un-lives as is the case for most of the characters in this book). I only kind of half liked Richard, the main character, at the beginning of the story, mainly because of his own thoughts and descriptions of himself, but as I read on and Richards girlfriend, Lee, became involved I found myself liking him much more.

Nicholson’s storytelling always brings very vivid scenes into my mind and I can picture exactly where the characters are in detail without having to read pages and pages of descriptive text. The plot and storyline was funny, interesting and very different to most ‘afterlife’ books I’ve read. There’s plenty of cross-over appeal between genres such as crime investigation, romance and paranormal and if you’re a lover of any of these genres, I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy Transparent Lovers as much as I did.

I would definitely recommend this novella to my 18+ readers and if you’ve never read any of Nicholson’s work before, I think this would be a great place to start.

My rating: 4 stars

1 comment:

lauralynnelliott said...

I've loved everything I've read by Scott Nicholson. He's awesome!