Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Book Review: Deception by Lee Nichols




DECEPTION by Lee Nichols

Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Released:  old cover June 2010, new cover September 2011
Review Format:  Paperback
Source:  Received from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review - with thanks!
Series:  Haunting Emma - book 1
Pages:  310



When Emma Vaile’s parents go missing while away on a mysterious business trip, she’s left all alone in her creepy old house. But her brother’s very cute best friend, Bennett Stern—Emma’s knight in J. Crew armor—arrives unexpectedly to whisk her away to New England. There, Emma settles into his family’s museum-like mansion and enrolls at an old-fashioned private school. She quickly finds friends in the popular legacy crowd at Thatcher and spends her free time crushing on Bennett. But the eerie visions she’s been hiding from everyone have gotten worse. Emma has memories of Thatcher that she can’t explain—it’s as if she’s returning home to a place she’s never been. Finally, Emma confides in Bennett and learns she is a ghostkeeper, a person who can communicate with ghosts. Bennett brought Emma to Thatcher to protect her, but now he needs her help tracking an other-worldly murderer.

A rich New England setting filled with mystery, tradition, and prep-school intrigue make Deception the perfect choice for fans of series like Kate Brian’s Private, as well as all those paranormal fans. The shocking ending will leave readers desperate for book two.

Synopsis from Goodreads.
I had never heard of Deception before it turned up on my doorstep courtesy of Bloomsbury, but once I read the synopsis I was dying to get started. I love ghost stories, so a novel about a Ghostkeeper sounded right up my street.

Once I started reading I just couldn’t put it down and I finished it in just two evenings. I was hooked right from the first page and I loved everything about it. The plot was exciting and fast paced and I really begrudged having to put the book down to sleep at midnight. I loved the spookiness and although it was very creepy, it was not too scary so I didn’t have to hide under the bedcovers when the lights went out. Just how I like it!

My favourite characters in the book were the ghost servants. How awesome would it be to have your dinner made by a ghost? The main character, Emma Vaile was, I would say, about average for a YA book protagonist – teen, mixed up emotions, but with a quirky sense of humour and I enjoyed her story and I really felt for her. I enjoyed all the characters in Deception – the ghosts and the humans.

Deception is a super quick read and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I loved it! Now I can’t wait to read book 2 – Betrayal, which luckily enough is sitting right here on my bookshelf.

My rating: 4 Stars





13 comments:

Liz. R said...

Really liked this one too! Thought it was a great ghost story, glad you enjoyed it. Great review!

Aylee said...

I've heard nothing but great things about this series. I really ought to read it!

Vivienne said...

I am really looking forward to this series.

Jennifer | Book Den said...

I've never heard of Deception either, but I do love a good ghost story. This one is going on the wishlist.

Kate said...

I've not read too many ghost stories yet and the ones I have read I didn't really enjoy. Next time I have a few spare pounds I might have to give this one a go and see if it makes a better impression :P

SJH (A Dream of Books) said...

Great review - glad to hear it's not too scary!

Cait said...

Great review! I loved this as well, can't wait to start book 2.

The Cait Files

Raimy-rawr said...

I loved this one too! I cant wait to start Betrayal either... Its on my shelf, I was meant to be reading it next but then I started Corsets and Clockwork! lol

Gina @ My Precious said...

This one is new to me. Sounds like a great book. I'll be adding it to my TBR.

Small Review said...

So happy you liked it! I think my favorite ghost was the Rake, though I loved the servants too :)

Zoe Crook said...

This sounds really good! I have never heard of this before, so thanks for such a good review. :)

Jesse Owen said...

Ooh! I haven't heard of this series, will add this one to my wishlist, fab review :D

Nichole said...

I ended up being somewhat disappointed with this book honestly. I didn't think I would ever pick up the second one. But after reading your review it's made me want to revisit it and look at it with a new light. I'm considering reading the second one to see if it gets better and because I'm intriguied as to what happens next in the plot. So thanks for a good review and for possibly giving me hope in something I had thought was lost!