Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Book Review - Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors



MAD LOVE by Suzanne Selfors

Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Released:  June 2011
Review Format:  Paperback
Source:  Recieved from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review.  Thanks!
Page Count:  323

Writing her own love story could drive a girl insane!

When you’re the daughter of the bestselling Queen of Romance, life should be pretty good. But 16-year-old Alice Amorous has been living a lie ever since her mother was secretly hospitalized for mental illness. After putting on a brave front for months, time is running out. The next book is overdue, and the Queen can’t write it. Alice needs a story for her mother—and she needs one fast. That’s when she meets Errol, a strange boy who claims to be Cupid, who insists that Alice write about the greatest love story in history: his tragic relationship with Psyche. As Alice begins to hear Errol’s voice in her head and see things she can’t explain, she must face the truth—that she’s either inherited her mother’s madness, or Errol is for real.
Synopsis from Goodreads.
I went through quite a few emotions whilst reading this book. The situation Alice is in is very sad and I felt quite heartbroken for her, but yet she had her head on her shoulders and this story was definitely not a tale of doom and gloom. Quite often I was laughing out loud or sniggering quietly to myself at the hilarity of a situation or at Alice’s thoughts.

Alice herself was a really likeable and pleasant character and I think she handled the situation of her mother’s mental illness and all the other problems that came hand in hand with that situation, like money troubles, very well. She was so determined to write the next book to cover for her mother and I could feel her panic as time was running out.

I really enjoyed meeting Tony, the boy Alice had been admiring from afar all summer. I wouldn’t say he had a major part in the story, but I clicked with him and enjoyed his input.

Then when Errol showed up, I didn’t know whether to laugh at the guy, feel sorry for him or dislike him. Just as I’d made my mind up one way or the other, something else came up which changed my view on him. I just loved the idea of him being Cupid.

I enjoyed Mad Love and really looked forward to reading my next instalment each evening. If you’re looking for an easy with a fairly fast paced read then I suggest you give this book a go.

My rating: 3 stars

8 comments:

Liz. R said...

I really liked this one! I thought Errol's story was very interesting and I really liked Alice. Thanks for the review :)

Aylee said...

The characters sound good!. Especially Alice. I'm not sure that I would be able to carry myself so well in her situation.

Clover said...

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this one!

Cliona said...

I think this sounds really good!

Jenny said...

I always like books that run me through the full emotional spectrum, so this sounds like it might be a good one for me:) Thanks Karen!

Hannah said...

Sounds like a fun little read, probably not my thing but that's more because it takes me too long to read things!

Once Upon A Time

Cait said...

I really liked this one too I loved the storyline with Errol and the messages about mental illness as well. Good review!


The Cait Files

Hafsah @ IceyBooks said...

This one sounds fun, though probably not my cup of tea. Thanks for the thorough review, Karen :)