Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Book Review: Slumber by Samantha Young




SLUMBER by Samantha Young

Publisher:  Create Space
Released:  May 2011
Review Format:  Kindle Edition
Source:  from the author in exchange for an honest review
Series:  Chronicles of the Fade #1






A sleeping beauty may be the damsel in distress, but her White Knight? Why her rather un-knightish best friend of course. And the White Knight’s White Knight? Well… none other than her reluctant mortal enemy…

When Haydyn falls victim to the mysterious Sleeping Disease, the world of Phaedra is thrown into Chaos.

Rogan, Haydyn’s best friend and handmaiden, is the only one who can save her. Together, with the Royal Guard and their young Captain, Wolfe Stovia, Rogan must set off across the provinces to find the Somna Plant that will wake Haydyn from her dying sleep.

Beset on all sides by the chaos, Rogan tumbles into a dark world of kidnapping, prejudice, betrayal and love… a journey that will change her forever, and a journey that will change their world forever, if she does not retrieve the cure.
Synopsis from Goodreads.
I don’t really read many fantasy books because to be truthful, quite often I find them really heavy going, but this lovely romantic fantasy by Samantha Young was a delight to read. With adorable main characters and a great plotline it was hard to put down.

The story is set in the fantasy world of Phaedra where the Princezna (Princess) Haydyn has ruled, with the help of the Rada (her council) since her fathers death. The main character, Rogan, is Haydyn’s handmaiden and best friend and has to go on a terribly dangerous journey to save the Princezna’s life when she falls sick with the Sleeping disease.

Rogan was such a fun character to follow. With her determination to save Haydyn’s life come hell or high water and her denial of her attraction to the head of the Guards, Captain Wolfe, she made for very interesting reading. My favourite character was Wolfe, who I loved before I knew how the story was even going to unfold. I don’t think anything would have put me off him. Tall, strong, handsome, a little moody and a nobleman to boot. The snarky conversations and comments between Wolfe and Rogan made me laugh so much.

This story wasn’t all just love though. Rogan had a tough quest to follow and went through many hardships along the way and I loved how she became a much stronger and decisive person whilst on her journey. There were many secondary characters along the way – some scary and had me on the edge of my seat while others were kind and sincere. My favourite of these characters was young ‘L’ Moss who was a mountain girl and as rough as they come, but also very dependable and sweet (although I think if ‘L’ knew I’d just called her sweet she’d probably throw up!)

Slumber swept me through a full range of emotional highs and lows, and yes at one point I was trying to read through teary eyes whilst at others I was holding my breath so long my chest hurt.

There is a very handy guide at the beginning of the book which includes a map of Phaedra, covering the countries Provinces so that you can follow Rogan on her journey and also an index of the names/terms used in the book. Both of these I found very useful.

Slumber is a definite must read for YA fantasy lovers and if you’ve never read fantasy before, but have been thinking about giving this genre a go, Slumber would be a great place to start. Some of the content in Slumber may not be suitable for younger teens.

My rating: 4 stars


5 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

This one sounds good. I like that its light fantasy, thats the only kind I can read It isn't a retelling of Sleeping Beauty? Does it end on a cliffhanger or could it be read as a stand alone. Do you know when the next book is setbto come out?

Vivienne said...

Oooh it sounds lovely. I am very intrigued by this book. I love the cover too.

Zoe Crook said...

This sounds really good, great review :)

Raimy-rawr said...

ooo this one sounds interesting! I may have to check it out! :D

Cait said...

Great review, I definitely want to try and read more fantasy! I love the cover too

The Cait Files