Monday, 29 August 2011

Online Book Cataloguing Websites

I’ve been a member of Goodreads for just over a year now and I really have to say I love the service. It’s the first time I’ve kept track of the books I’ve read, books I have in my to be read pile and also books I wish I owned.

I know a lot of you guys are also Goodreads members and that’s something else I love. Being in contact with other readers, chatting about books, see what my friends are reading and their thoughts are all big plusses for me. The star ratings are also a big feature for me. I never buy a book these days without checking out the Goodreads star rating and a couple of your reviews there. This week for instance I was offered a book for review (Chonosphere by Alex Woolf) and I checked it out on Goodreads. It only had one review by a friend (that was Jesse from Books4Teens – hi Jesse!) and he gave it 5 stars which helped me make a decision to accept the review request.

Another thing I’ve found is that a lot of you are also members of LibraryThing and Shelfari. I did take a quick look at LibraryThing a while back and one of the first things I discovered is that you have to PAY to log more than a certain amount of books! I didn’t bother to look into more detail with either of these sites after that, so I don’t know much about them at all and I was hoping you could answer some questions for me … if you don’t mind that is!
  • Do they do the same thing as Goodreads?
  • Do they do it better than Goodreads?
  • What are the differences, or is it all down to personal taste on website layout etc?
  • Which online cataloguing site do you prefer?
  • Are there any other sites I’ve not mentioned that you think are better?
Let me know your thoughts on this subject in the comments and if you are interested in the responses too, I’ll do a short round-up post next week. Oh and thank you, in advance!

10 comments:

SusieBookworm (Susanna) said...

I really, really, really, really like LibraryThing. Sure, it costs, but for a one-time charge it's actually pretty low. And worth it. I've found that LibraryThing is much easier to use than the other two, especially since you can put in so much more information on the books. On GoodReads, it's mostly date read, a couple classifications, the correct edition, and reviews/ratings. On LibraryThing, it's all of this plus more space for tags, where you acquired it, the specific publication date for your copy of the book, condition notes or anything else you want to put in the "comments" section...not to mention that I think their forums are easier to find, access, join, post in, etc.

Basically, I use LibraryThing to catalog what books I own and GoodReads as more of a social networking (I follow other blogger's reviews and additions) and as a place to record what I read, regardless of whether or not I own it.

Amber Griffiths said...

I use both GoodReads and Shelfari. I've been on Shelfari the longest, so I think I'm slightly biased towards that site. I have no experience at all with LibraryThing, I didn't like the look of the layout so I don't think I signed up.

To answer your questions about Shelfari:

- Pretty much, yes. You can add books which you want to read, are reading and have read. You can add books to your wishlist, books you own and your favourites.

- I like the virtual bookshelf. I wish Goodreads had something like this. I also find Shelfari a lot easier to navigate when it comes to marking TBRs, read books etc.

- The main differences that I've found is the community on Shelfari isn't as connected as it is on GR. The forums on GR are much better than the groups on Shelfari - Shelfari doesn't have forums. Also, there is the ability to add more wishlists/lists/shelves on GR than on Shelfari. However there is a tagging feature which I find helpful on Shelfari!

- I prefer Shelfari for cataloging purposes, and Goodreads for the community and accessibility to other bloggers/readers.

I hope this helped. You should definitely check out Shelfari! I love it, in case you couldn't already tell. :D

Books of Amber

Amber Griffiths said...

Oh, I forgot! I also love the status update feature on Goodreads. I wish you could do this on Shelfari!

Aylee said...

I use all three of these but Goodreads is definitely my favourite. I don't really use the other two for anything except reposting my reviews on them. I didn't know that about LibraryThing! Dang. But I have received a book through their Early Reviewers Program which was cool.

Jules said...

I'm a huge fan of Goodreads! :D Although I don't really have that much experience with the other sites...

Interesting post and I've been enjoying reading the other comments so far.

Nikki-ann said...

I've signed up to a couple of others websites, but GoodReads is my book site of choice. I find it much more user-friendly than the others. Also, in my first year as a member I won not 1 but 4 books in their giveaways.

Luisa at Chicklish said...

I use Goodreads. I find the others don't list UK-published books as reliably. Great post!

Zoe Crook said...

I have Goodreads and LOVE it. I really like Shelfari, and it is completely free. I think it is just as good as Goodreads to be honest but I don't use it as much. I don't use LibraryThing but I have heard good things about it.
Good post :)

.Ambur. said...

I have accounts on all 3, and Goodreads is by far my favourite. I honestly don't really liked LibraryThing all that much. I find it awkward to use, and I think the set up of the book's pages isn't that great. However, they do have some awesome giveaways on there, and it's the only thing keeping me going back. ;)

Shelfari is pretty good. I actually like that one, but I still prefer Goodreads. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know much about them. I do have a RandomBuzzers account which is for Random House, and that one's not bad either, but again, Goodreads is still better. I find Goodreads to be the easiest to use, and I think it's the nicest looking. Like the book pages and author pages are very well done. :)

Small Review said...

I'll be looking forward to your round up post. I only use Goodreads, but I'm curious about the other two.