Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Book Review: Eight Keys by Suzanne LaFleur




EIGHT KEYS by Suzanne LaFleur

Publisher:  Puffin Books
Released:  4th August 2011
Review Format:  Uncorrected Advanced Readers Copy
Source:  UK Book Tours - with thanks!
Pages:  216





Elise and Franklin have always been best friends. Elise has always lived in the big house with her loving Uncle and Aunt, because Elise's parents died when she was too young to remember them. There's always been a barn behind the house with eight locked doors on the second floor.

When Elise and Franklin start middle school, things feel all wrong. Bullying. Not fitting in. Franklin suddenly seems babyish. Then, soon after her 12th birthday, Elise receives a mysterious key left for her by her father. A key that unlocks one of the eight doors upstairs in the barn...
Synopsis from Goodreads.
I have heard such good things about this book and I was really looking forward to reading it. Eight Keys is a middle grade story about a 12 year old girl called Elise.

I’ve heard this book described a few times as ‘cute’, and it was cute and a nice easy read with a sweet, albeit sad storyline which will definitely have you snivelling and reaching for the tissue box.

The main characters, Elise and Franklin were nice kids. Very genuine and innocent and I really liked that about them. Things started to change when they started their new school and Amanda and her cronies started causing trouble for them. I could relate very well to Elise’s school life. It brought back some not so good memories for me though. I got quite in tune with Elise and could feel her mind ticking over as she was thinking stuff through although I felt really sorry for poor Franklin. He was a nice young lad, but in my mind, he was more typical of an 11 year old 40 years ago than today.

Eight keys was a nice story and I know a lot of readers have raved about it, but for me it just didn’t sit well. Maybe it was the memories. I don’t know. But hey, lets not be too down hearted about this. Go take a look at these other great reviews of Eight Keys (listed below) before you make your mind up!

My rating: 3 stars 



Other reviews of Eight Keys:
The Overflowing Library
Heaven, Hell & Purgatory Book Reviews
Fluttering Butterflies
Cheezyfeet Books

10 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

What was the writing style like? Did you dislike the premise or the stories main point?

Vivienne said...

I hate it when books bring back unhappy memories. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Zoe Crook said...

Sorry that the book didn't suit you, these type of books sound emotional.

Leanna (Daisy Chain Book Reviews) said...

I liked this one. I thought it was sweet and touching. I think it's a gem for it's intended age group. Sorry to hear it didn't work out so well for you. :)

Kate said...

Sorry to hear that this one didn't really sit well with you but it does still sound like quite a cute read :)

One More Page said...

Great honest review - thank you!

Clover said...

I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you! But I think the world would be a very boring place if we all loved the same books. Thanks for linking to my review.

thebusybibliophile.com said...

Thank you for the honest review.

Raimy-rawr said...

aww its a shame this one didnt sit well for you! I will still be giving it a go at some point I think though, I am very intrigued about it

Debra's Book Cafe said...

Great review... This book sounds really interesting :-)