Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Book Review: The Understorey by Fisher Amelie




THE UNDERSTOREY by Fisher Amelie

Released:  April 2011
Review Format:  Kindle Edition
Source:  Received from the author in exchange for an honest review
Series:  The Leaving Series Book #1



“Let’s start this place on nonexistent fire.”

“Promise.” She sucked in an excited breath.

We closed our eyes and I placed my feverish mouth to hers. Immediately, violent, zealous flashes of shimmering flames climbed to the furthest point, trailed like rain down the pitched ceiling and spilled down the walls, gathering at their feet, pools of fervent, bubbling, silvery liquid electricity, before evaporating into nothing.

Elliott Gray is incomplete, scrambling through the dark on his hands and knees, blindly feeling for the switch it would take to bring the peace he's forever been searching for.

Julia Jacobs is unhappy, missing a noticeable piece of her soul, a naked canvas with vivid paints at her disposal but no brush to assemble the vision.

At a young age, courtesy of an unknowing Elliott Gray, Julia tastes the burn of heartache and since then, has silently vowed to her heart that it would never be susceptible to such pain again but when Julia and Elliott discover they share a supernatural connection that's never been revealed before, Elliott makes it his life's goal to convince her they are fated. He knows, if she only gave him but one chance to prove himself, she would not be afraid but when Elliott's best friend Jesse Thomas turns out to be much more than meets the eye, it's all Elliott can do to hold on to his new love, while attempting to survive an enormous threat on their future.
Firstly I want to mention The Understoreys cover. I love the wispy smoky colours on the black background – they really stand out and it looks so pretty! Before I read the book I had no idea what it was meant to be, now I realise that it symbolises the supernatural element of The Understorey, but without giving away some of the plot, I can’t tell you more.

I had a few mixed feelings over this book. Some aspects I adored, others I didn’t, but the ending really blew me away! The descriptive passages throughout the book were excellent and I could visualise each setting and character perfectly. I especially loved the main characters ‘special place’. It just sounded so beautiful and peaceful. Ahh.

I loved how the book is written from the male main characters point of view, which made a nice change and I enjoyed Fisher’s writing style. For the main part it flowed nicely along, but there were occasions when I wasn’t sure which character was actually speaking and I got a bit confused. The first third of the book was sweet and I enjoyed getting to know both the main characters in this story – Julia and Elliot and watching them get to grips with each other and their very unusual ‘power’.

The Understorey is a romance with supernatural undertones and I enjoyed the romantic element and I loved that Elliot had such ‘old fashioned’ views on how to treat a girl. By the second third of the book though the romance became a bit overbearing and it began to irritate me when they were using soppy names every time they talked to each other, which lessened my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent plot.

Once I hit the final section things really started to hot up and it got pretty creepy! The images some of those last scenes brought to my mind gave me the shivers and I just couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. Then, just as I thought it was safe to sigh with relief at what I thought was a nice happy ending, Fisher decided to throw one last sentence at me that left me shouting NOOOOOOO! Yes guys, this book ends in a cliffhanger!

My rating: 4 stars


Before you go, check out this awesome trailer for The Understorey



3 comments:

Kate said...

Aha, you have to like a book which ends on a cliff hanger (come on, it may be annoying but we all love them).

Sounds like a very good book, but like you, I think the soppy nicknames would irritate me quite a bit. I'll keep my eyes open for my reviews of this one :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

First off, that cover is gorgeous....absolutely beautiful. I love the sound of this one though the romance seems a bit cloying. I'll have to add it to my TBR! :)

steve said...

This is my first time visiting. I'm a sucker for a good book giveaway ;)
Glad to have found your site. I'm a new follower.
Register Domain