Sunday, 4 September 2011

In My Mailbox #44

Edited 18/9/11 - Hey Guys!  Thanks for visiting.  I'm not sure how I've managed this but I put the wrong link in The Story Siren's linky today.  My IMM post for this week is actually HERE!  So sorry :0(

In My Mailbox is a great meme from The Story Siren.  If you'd like to take part, visit The Story Siren's IMM page for further details.

I bought some books this week that I've been desperate to read since first hearing about them early on in the year and I also received two books this week for review.  I did actually buy a couple more books this week but they were a bread recipe book (I make all my own bread and was looking for new ideas) and a cook book, so not the kind I will be reviewing on my blog.

So, The books I got for review are:

THE GOLDEN ACORN by Catherine Cooper

When Jack Brenin finds a golden acorn lying in the grass, little does he know that it is the beginning of a thrilling and magical adventure. Just an ordinary boy, Jack has been chosen for a hugely important task, and enters a world he believed only existed in legend. Full of twists and turns, talking ravens and mischievous Spriggans, 'The Golden Acorn' is a hugely entertaining and exciting tale from a very talented new author. Your kids will love it, and so will you! This brilliant story deservedly won the Brit Writers' Awards 2010 for unpublished writers and has now been published by Infinite Ideas.
A middle-grade title received from the author for review - thank you!


Issy Randall can bake. No, more than that - Issy can create stunning, mouth-wateringly divine cakes. After a childhood spent in her beloved Grampa Joe's bakery she has undoubtedly inherited his talent. So when she's made redundant from her safe but dull City job, Issy decides to seize the moment and open up her own cafe.

This adult book was sent to me for review by Tesco Books.  This review is going to be a little different to ones I normally do as Tesco are asking for emotional response to this book, not just a normal style review.  It has to explain my mood and feelings.  Definitely different so look out for that one!



This book did not arrive alone though.  The lovely Natasha at Tesco Books also sent me lots of goodies!  I've put a photo below, but just in case you can't tell what it all is, there's a large bar of Amelia Rope Dark Spearmint chocolate (oooohh yum in my tum!), a magnetic bookmark and a funny notebook called the Upside Down Notebook!  On the back it says "Stand on head and write in, semi regretting buy decision" which I though was extremely funny :o)  Thank you so much Natasha!





The books I bought this week are:

WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

WITCHLANDERS by Lena Coakley

High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future.

It’s all a fake.

At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?

But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned — Are about him.

And that's what I received in my mailbox this week.  What did you get in yours?

36 comments:

Amber Griffiths said...

I started reading Wildefire via Galley Grab but I wasn't a huge fan of it so I had to stop. I'll definitely be looking out for what you think of it though, as we have similar tastes in books. If you like it then I'll probably pick it up again. I hope you're having a great weekend Karen :D

Books of Amber

ComaCalm said...

Great stuff this week! I especially love the Upside-Down notebook, that's really funny!

ComaCalm's IMM

Liz. R said...

Great books this week - Witchlanders and Wildefire both looks great. Also, love your Upside Down Notebook! Happy reading :).

Rubita said...

I adore Jenny Colgan, but not many of her books are published in the US. I'll have to look out for your review to see if it's worth ordering through Amazon UK.
Ruby

Book Passion for Life said...

Hope you enjoy Witchlanders! It looks awesome! :)

Donna

Our IMM

Mel said...

I love the bookmark and notebook!! There's so sweet to recieve some bonus with a review book. Jenny Colgan books are usually sweet and fun so I hope it makes you feel happy! :-)

Bella said...

Wildefire and Witchlanders both looks awesome! Can't wait to read them and I'll be looking out for your reviews :D Happy reading!

Vivienne said...

Do you review for Tesco books?

Wildefire and Witchlanders are both on my list.

The Slowest Bookworm said...

Hi Vivienne

Yes, Tesco contacted me a couple of weeks ago about it. This will be the first book I've done for them though. I hope you get Wildefire and Witchlanders soon. They book look awesome!

Cliona said...

Brilliant books! I love the notebook and the other swag!

Jules said...

Great selection of book!!!

I really want to read Wildfire - hopefully you enjoy it :)

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I love the sound of Witchlanders, and the upside down notebook is really funny. Enjoy your books!

Zoe Crook said...

Cool books! Love the notebook :o)

sarahsaysread.com said...

I really want to read Witchlanders! & Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe sounds really cute.

justalillost said...

I love the cover of Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe! What a cute title too :)

Here's my (excessive) IMM this week! :P

Lost In Literature said...

Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe sounds cute! Great books this week! Enjoy!

My IMM
Lisa @ Lost in Literature

melissa said...

wildefire was an awesome read i read it a few weeks ago and was very impressed check out the blog for the review.

I hope you enjoy it too!

http://melissa-justoneopinion.blogspot.com/2011/09/imm-8.html#links

A Beautiful Madness said...

I got both Wildefire and Witchlanders this week too! They sound really good. Hope you enjoy them!
My IMM

Raimy-rawr said...

Witchlanders sounds really good! and I LOVE that notebook! I hope you enjoy your books! :D

Michael/Bookshelf Reviewer said...

Awesome IMM. New Follower. The Golden Acorn book sounds really good. And I really want to buy and read Wildefyre it sounds really good.
Check out my IMM here: My IMM

Annie @ TheBookHour said...

Cool stuff! I'm a new follower. I really want to read Wildfire, I hope you like it! :) Have a great week.

turn-the-page.net said...

I don't know about the book, but the cover at least for The Golden Acorn deserves to be framed! It is GORGEOUS!

Cool books this week!

Check out my Mailbox this week :)

Amy @ Turn the Page

Small Review said...

Witchlanders! I really liked that book. Hope you have a happy reading week :)

Shirley said...

Fabulous package from Tesco Books!! Chocolate, a good book and goodies, can you ask for anything more? I will be interested to read your emotional response to this book, so now I am a new follower! Enjoy!


Here's mine: http://shirley-mybookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-just-received-september-5.html

Jenna and Ashley said...

I've seen a few cupcake books out recently. Hope you do have some sort of emotional response to it so you can discuss it in your review:)

I think I've seen a review of Wildefire that was pretty good. Have fun with those reads!

-Jenna @ Fans of Fiction (new follower)
http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-2.html

кєяo said...

The Golden Acorn sounds great. I love magical adventure tales.
I'm a new follower.
Stop by my blog to check my IMM.

Michelle @ Book Briefs said...

Witchlanders looks great. ima new follower.

Be sure to stop by and enter my 500 follower giveaway! :)

My IMM- Book Briefs

-Michelle

thecheapreader said...

Hope you like The Golden Acorn. I downloaded that a freebie a while back. It was a fun MG book.

Alison at The Cheap Reader

justalillost said...

Meet me at the Cupcake Cafe looks so cute!! I love the cover! :P

Michele | my IMM

Shortskie said...

I love Wildefire! Enjoy all your books!

My Mailbox c:

Lost In Literature said...

Wow, great books this week! Enjoy! :)

My IMM

Lisa @ Lost in Literature

JJ iReads said...

Great stuff you got this week. I don't have any of the titles you have so I'm looking forward to your review of these.

New follower BTW

Happy Reading!

JJ iReads
My IMM

Aisle B said...

nice loot & you got Witchlander too! Girl you are one lucky puppy - let me go back and pant again at all those books. sighs in utter envy :)

Chelsey @ Starry Sky Books said...

I enjoyed Wildefire a lot, hopefully you do as well. And I love the title Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe, I definitely will be checking that one out. Happy reading! :)

Lori said...

Looks like you had a nice Mailbox this week. I hope that you enjoy your books. Check out what I gotIn My Mailbox this week.

A Musing Mother said...

I read Wildefire. It was EH. Great selection this week! Check out mine!