Sunday, 11 September 2011

In My Mailbox #45

In My Mailbox is a great meme from The Story Siren.  If you'd like to take part, visit The Story Siren's IMM page for further details.

This week I got two books for review and was also gifted with an Amazon gift certificate so I downloaded myself some books for my Kindle too.  First though, here are the review books:



REVOLUTION by Jennifer Donnelly (with thanks to Bloomsbury!)

BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.




AN AUGUST CAROL by J Arthur (with thanks to the author!)

It is July 1950. Rob is a twelve year old boy. He has just joined the local church choir both for a laugh and to be with one of his friends. His idea for being in the choir was for the fun of a yearly free day out at the seaside and being paid for singing at weddings.

Rob also likes the odd practical joke, he's not a menace though, in fact he's quite sensitive and, according to the ladies he is beautiful.

Sandra is nearly seventeen and a talented would be art student. She has a younger sister who it seems has never heard the phrase 'Demure young ladies'.

Sandra needs to submit a portfolio to the art school, Rob initially says he will pose for her, but has no intention of doing so. His get out plan goes awry and he does have to abide by his promise.

Over time and various happenings an emotional bond developes between them.


The next books are the ones I bought with my certificate and also a couple I bought earlier in the week because they looked awesome and were CHEAP!


Dark Life by Kat Falls
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Desires of the Dead by Kimberley Derting


A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Edited to add:

Oooh, the postman has just been with a parcel from Emma at Bloomsbury!  Just look at this!


The two books are FRACTURE by Megan Miranda, due out in January 2012 and
THIS IS NOT FORGIVENESS by Celia Rees, due out in February 2012.
And just look at that awesome Harry Potter canvas bag!  I am seriously squealing!  Thank you so much Emma!

So that's what I got in my mailbox this week.
What did you get in yours?

19 comments:

Liz. R said...

Oh you lucky, lucky thing! I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and officially love that tshirt. Plus, I'm dying to read Fracture! Dark Life looks fab too - happy reading!

Kristina said...

I loved Revolution! It was one of my favorite books that I read this year. The Harry Potter bag is pretty cool too! I hope you enjoy your new books.

Kristina
http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/

Books Glorious Books said...

Love the Harry Potter bag! I loved Desires of the Dead so I hope you enjoy it too!
Happy reading!

Maestra Amanda said...

Oh my goodness! You have a great IMM! Love the hp bag, and revolution sounds like a great read.

Amanda

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

Wow great mailbox! Revolution has been on my tbr list since it was released. My copy is sitting waiting patiently for me. The Harry Potter tote bag is awesome!

Mel said...

Great selection - I have A Game of Thrones and Rivers of London waitingt o be read - and I'd love A Discover of Witches! Great choices with your gift voucher!

sashem said...

LOVED a discovery of witches!!!

Here's our IMM

kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Rivers of Lonndon is great, and I only heard good things about Revolution and Dark Life. Happy reading!
Here is my mailbox
http://nocturnalbookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/09/whats-in-my-mailbox.html

BooksforCompany said...

Oh isn't Emma so lovely!! =)
Enjoy Karen xD

Zoe Crook said...

I need that Harry Potter bag!!!! Revolution sounds great, happy reading :)

My IMM: http://bookhi.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox-13.html

Kelly said...

Revolution is soooo good, and I love the cover for it. The cover of my copy is different from the cover you posted, and I love the cover you posted so much more than the cover I have. I hope you like it. Happy reading!

Andrea said...

Wow! What a fabulous haul! I love Game of Thrones on HBO & want to read the books eventually. I know it will be a huge endeavor. Hope you enjoy!

Here's mine: http://thebookishbabes.blogspot.com/2011/09/in-my-mailbox.html

Gina @ My Precious said...

What a great pile of loot for this week. I have heard really great things about "Discovery of Witches". "Dark Life" was a middle grade book I listened to on audio. Its entertaining, book two is alread out. Well..

HAPPY READING!

Debra's Book Cafe said...

What a fantastic haul! I am really loving the cover for Revolution... :-)

turn-the-page.net said...

I think the best thing is the Harry Potter bag. That things is just AMAZING!!

Oooo a new Celia Rees book :D Cant wait to read more about it on your blog.

Please do tell what River of London is like, Im so intrigued because of the design and keep picking it up in Waterstones, but then don't purchase because I just keep getting let down by adult books!

Check out my Mailbox this week here

Amy @ Turn the Page

Hafsah @ IceyBooks said...

That is one AMAZING Bloomsbury package, Karen! I'm especially envious of Fracture. Enjoy :)

Small Review said...

Aaaaah that is such a cool Harry Potter bag!! Those review books she sent with it look great, too. Can't wait to read your reviews. I've heard really great things about Dark Life, so I'll be looking forward to your review on that one too. :)

Raimy-rawr said...

AWESOME tote bag from Emma, shes lovely isnt she!

Miss Page-Turner said...

Ohh wow I love your mailbox! I really want to read Fracture, it sounds os good!