Sunday, 2 October 2011

In My Mailbox #48

In My Mailbox is a great meme from The Story Siren.  If you'd like to take part, visit The Story Siren's IMM page for further details.

I received three books this week, one of which I totally wasn't expecting as with cutting back on all unnecessary expenditure, I'd actually cancelled the preorder with The Book Depository - well I'd emailed them and requested they cancel the order, but it seems they didn't as the book turned up anyway.  That book was:



SWEETLY by Jackson Pearce

As a child, Gretchen's twin sister was taken by a witch-like monster in the woods. Ever since, Gretchen and her brother, Ansel, have felt the long branches of the witch's forest threatening to make them disappear, too.

When their stepmother casts Gretchen and Ansel out as teens, they stumble upon a sleepy Southern town and are invited to stay with Sophia Kelly at her sweet shop. Sophia molds candied magic: coveted treats that create confidence, bravery, and passion.

Life seems idyllic and Gretchen and Ansel finally start to forget their haunted past - until Gretchen meets handsome local outcast Samuel, who gives Gretchen a reason to fear Sophia: girls have been vanishing at Sophia's annual chocolate festival, taken by the insatiable 'witch' of Gretchen's nightmares. Can Gretchen save herself, the girls of Live Oak,andSophia?

Of one thing, Gretchen is certain: a monster is coming, and it will never go away hungry.




THE MAGI by Kevin M. Turner

This one I received for review from the author.

Thirteen-year-old Elijah Hawk has never heard of the Magi. He doesn't know about the secret power they have. He has never been to Savenridge, the Magi city hidden deep inside the northern forests. Most of all, Elijah is unaware of the dangers hunting him, in search for something he has. After one terrifying night, however, all of that changes!
On a quest to solve the murder of his parents, Elijah stumbles upon the land of the Magi. Learning their secrets and training with their power is the least of his problems. In order to find out why his parents were killed, Elijah learns that he must confront the dangers that are hunting him. What's more terrifying is learning that stumbling upon this new world of the Magi may not have been an accident afterall.




BURNING SECRETS by Clare Chambers

An intense and thrilling teen mystery set on a tranquil island where all seems perfect! Daniel has dark secrets and a troubled past. So when his family move to the island of Wragge, a gentle backwater where local life remains undisturbed he feels he's escaped. But outsiders aren't always welcome and the more Daniel tries to conceal, the more he reveals about sinister goings on. Does this picture perfect community have something even greater to hide? An explosive thriller that tingles with brooding menace and ignites as the clues fall into place!

This one was a swap from ReaditSwapit.



I hope you all had a good book week.  What did you get in your mailbox?

23 comments:

kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Very interestng choices as usual! :) Enjoy your reading!

Bella said...

I just finished reading Sweetly this week - it was really really good! :D Hope you enjoy all your books, happy reading!

Bungle said...

I really want to read Sweetly but I don't want to pay for a hardback, I'm trying not to spen so much. Although, it's my birthday next week so maybe a few books are in order!

Happy reading!!

Kate said...

SWEETLY! I want to read Sweetly so much :D Great books this week, Karen

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I really want to read Sweetly! Great books this week- I'd never heard of Burning Secrets before but it looks fantastic!

Ailsa said...

Sweetly has SUCH a creepy cover! *shudders* It sounds pretty interesting - I'll look out for reviews on that one.

I'm also trying to cut down on books I buy, you can see my IMM here: The Book Bundle

~Ailsa

Raimy-rawr said...

great books, I cant wait to get hold of my copy of sweetly! :D I hope you enjoy

Cliona said...

Sweetly looks amazing, I can't wait to read it!

Jules said...

I love the cover for Burning secrets.

I've been trying to cut down on the books I buy as well, although I wasn't determined enough to cancel my pre-orders!

The Library Owl said...

Great books! I'm especially excited for Sweetly :)

DJL said...

I'm still glad you got Sweetly, and I look forward to reading your review on it. I got to see Jackson Pearce at the Austin Teen Book Festival yesterday, and she's a lot of fun. :) I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

~DJL
My IMM

Jenny said...

Yay Sweetly!!! I thought it was a great read, I really like how she re-works her fairtyales:) Enjoy all your books!

Debra's Book Cafe said...

Fab haul! So jealous that you have Sweetly... I need to get that one :-)

Mel said...

Book Depository doesn't have the easiest way of cancelling orders or even changing them if you make a mistake - it can be frustrating! But Sweetly does look intriguing!

Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I'm interested in Sweetly. It sounds really good. Enjoy all your new books.

Vivienne said...

I do love the cover of Sweetly!

Zoe Crook said...

Great books, Sweetly sounds amazing! Enjoy :)

jenn said...

One day I will get Sweetly! Seems really interesting. I recently added The Magi to my TBR list... hope it's good!

FYI, your link on The Story Siren is "@gmail" not ".com"!

Happy reading. New follower:)

jenn | my IMM
Be sure to enter my Birthday Bash Giveaway!

Phanee said...

Sweetly is supposed to be very good! :) But I do like the sound of Burning Secrets! Enjoy your books this week, Karen!

Scarlett said...

I'm looking forward to reading sweetly but haven't heard of the other two. Happy reading!

Here's my IMM!

Gina @ My Precious said...

I don't recognize any of these books with the exception of Sweetly. Hope you enjoy them.

Crystal (Book Snob) said...

I've heard Sweetly is really good! I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Carina said...

Oh, I really want to read Sweetly. Heard so many good things about it!
The other two books look great, too, and I hope you enjoy them. :)

Have a lovely week,
Carina