Sunday, 9 October 2011

In My Mailbox #49

In My Mailbox is hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren.

This week I have been really, really, REALLY bad!  So much for the book buying ban huh?  Here's what I got:


SILENCE by Becca Fitzpatrick

I just had to get this, ok?  Had to.  Please don't shout 'stop spending money!' at me.  I guess most of you will already know that this is the third book in the Hush Hush series, but if you didn't, you do now.

The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They've overcome the secrets riddled in Patch's dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in one another, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they've worked for—and their love—forever.



ASHES by Ilsa J. Bick

Ashes has been on my wishlist since I first heard about it earlier this year and seeing it in Tesco at just £4 made for an irrisistable impulse buy.

Alex has run away and is hiking through the wilderness with her dead parents' ashes, about to say goodbye to the life she no longer wants to live. But then the world suddenly changes. An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky zapping every electronic device and killing the vast majority of adults. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who has changed... Everyone still alive has turned - some for the better (those who acquired a superhuman sense) while others for the worse (those who acquired a taste for human flesh). Desperate to find out what happened and to avoid the zombies that are on the hunt, Alex meets up with Tom - an Army veteran who escaped one war only to find something worse at home - and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse. This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to find food, shelter, while fighting off the 'Changed' and those desperate to stay alive. A tense and involving adventure with shocks and sudden plot twists that will keep teen and adult readers gripped.



MIST by Kathryn James

Another Tesco cheap buy.  That cover was too gorgeous to ignore :-)

Midnight: a mist-haunted wood with a bad reputation. A sweet sixteen party, and 13 year old Nell is trying to keep her sister, spoilt birthday-girl Gwen, out of trouble. No chance. Trouble finds Gwen and drags her through the mist. Only Nell guesses who’s behind the kidnap - the boy she hoped was her friend, the cute but mysterious Evan River.

All those fairy stories Nell’s grandmother told her about girls being stolen by fairy folk are true. The Elven are beautiful as starlight, fierce as wolves, and cold as ice. And they want their world back. The fight has been raging for centuries. Nell’s grandmother should know, she’s a Watcher, the ones responsible for imprisoning the Elven in isolated iron-bound camps in Siberia. Only Evan, his fanatical older brother Fen, and a handful of Elven children are still free.

Fen, hellbent on revenge, keeps Gwen in their wolf-guarded stronghold deep in the mist. The price for her safe return? The release of all the Elven – but the Watchers will never agree. Only Nell can save Gwen.

Time is twisted through the mist: if Nell stops longer than a night and day, a hundred years will hit her as soon as she returns and she’ll be old and withered before she’s even lived. The clock is ticking.



GIFTS OF THE BLOOD by Vicki Keire

Gifts of the Blood is for a blog tour very soon and I started reading it last night.  I'm only at 15%, but it has already grabbed my attention!

Caspia Chastain, art student and barista, is gifted (or plagued, if you ask her) with the ability to draw the future, usually at the worst possible times. Her parents are four years dead; everyday she watches her brother Logan fight his cancer diagnosis. Things get worse for Caspia the day she draws an angry stranger framed by planes of light and violent, bloody images. That exact same stranger walks up to her out of nowhere mere hours later knowing things he shouldn't, like her name, her brother's illness, and her strange ability. That's when Caspia discovers her hometown is a refuge for supernatural beings both Light and Dark, and she and her brother find themselves caught up in a war between the two that predates their very birth. In order to protect herself and her brother, she turns to the one who seems to have started it all: the man who walked out of her sketchbook calling himself Ethan.

But Ethan has his own agenda, Logan's getting sicker fast, and Caspia finds that drawing the future isn't the only strange thing she can do. Meanwhile, someone really wants all of them dead. In a town where Dark doesn't equal Evil and Light isn't always Good, Caspia and Ethan find themselves making strange alliances and even stranger sacrifices in order to protect those they love.


TITAN MAGIC by Jodi Lamm

I received this one from the author, Jodi, for review.  It sounds awesome and I can't wait to start it.  Just look at that stunning cover!  It even looks good in greyscale on my Kindle.

Mute, heartless, and tormented by auditory hallucinations, Madeleine Lavoie never questions why her family has hidden her from the world. But the night her brother casts her out, she learns the mysterious voice she thought existed only in her mind is no delusion, and no matter how hard she tries, she can never disobey it.

Now Madeleine must find her own voice in a cacophony of powerful tyrants, monsters, and gods. If she fails, she will forfeit her life and the lives of everyone who loves her. But if she succeeds, she may finally gain the ability to love someone in return.


SHELTER by Harlan Coben

Audible got me again with their seasonal sale.  I purchased this one and two other books, each cheaper in the sale than my monthly subscription is, so a definite bargain.

Mickey Bolitar’s year can’t get much worse. After witnessing his father’s death and sending his mom to rehab, he’s forced to live with his estranged Uncle Myron and switch high schools.

A new school comes with new friends and new enemies, and lucky for Mickey, it also comes with a great new girlfriend, Ashley. For awhile, it seems like Mickey’s train-wreck of a life is finally improving — until Ashley vanishes without a trace. Unwilling to let another person walk out of his life, Mickey follows Ashley’s trail into a seedy underworld that reveals that this seemingly sweet, shy girl isn’t who she claimed to be. And neither was Mickey’s father. Soon, Mickey learns about a conspiracy so shocking that it makes high school drama seem like a luxury – and leaves him questioning everything about the life he thought he knew.

First introduced to readers in Harlan Coben’s latest adult novel, Live Wire, Mickey Bolitar is as quick-witted and clever as his Uncle Myron, and eager to go to any length to save the people he cares about. With this new series, Coben introduces an entirely new generation of fans to the masterful plotting and wry humor that have made him an award-winning, internationally bestselling, and beloved author.


THE FORESHADOWING by Marcus Sedgwick

Another audiobook.  I just finished Midwinterblood and really enjoyed it so I was interested to read another of Marcus' books.

It is 1915 and the First World War has only just begun.

17 year old Sasha is a well-to-do, sheltered-English girl. Just as her brother Thomas longs to be a doctor, she wants to nurse, yet girls of her class don't do that kind of work. But as the war begins and the hospitals fill with young soldiers, she gets a chance to help. But working in the hospital confirms what Sasha has suspected--she can see when someone is going to die. Her premonitions show her the brutal horrors on the battlefields of the Somme, and the faces of the soldiers who will die. And one of them is her brother Thomas.

Pretending to be a real nurse, Sasha goes behind the front lines searching for Thomas, risking her own life as she races to find him, and somehow prevent his death.




My final audiobook purchase.  I couldn't believe this one was in the sale.  It wasn't anymore expensive than buying the paperback.  Can't wait to give it a go!

Featuring necklaces made of wishes; an underground shop dealing in teeth; magical tattoos; a wishbone on a cord, DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE is a thrilling story about Karou and her secret life as an apprentice to a wishmonger. Karou manages to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she is a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to an inhuman creature who deals in wishes and is the closest thing she has to family. Her life is surrounded by mysteries she is desperate to unveil.



And that's my 'very bad' mailbox this week.  What did you get in yours?

24 comments:

slayra said...

Great books this week! Oh, I'm just the same. I keep telling myself I have to stop buying books, but I can't help it. O-o

Miss Page-Turner said...

I love what I spot in your mailbox. I'm no fan of audio books, but Daugther of Smoke and Bone was soo good!:)

Mrs Q Book Addict said...

hahah book bans are just too hard. I love that cover of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I still haven't read hush hush, and didn't know I owned it until I saw it on my shelf today. Enjoy your new reads!

kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Hahaha, better luck nex week maybe? *wink* I've got Daughter of Smoke and Bone and I did read Ashes when it was on Netgalley. It was really good! Enjoy your books :)

jodilamm said...

Thank you so much for the cover compliment! I can't wait to tell the artist what you thought of his work.

Aylee said...

Heh, I broke my book buying ban too. But I decided it wasn't that bad because all the books I got were on sale or were used. It sounds like you got some really great deals this week too!

Chrizette said...

Ashes has gone onto my wish list - I love dystopian books and this one sounds goooood (love the cover too).

In my Mailbox

Vivienne said...

Mist! I want that book! I shall be making a trip to Tesco's I think.

Mel said...

Great books! I picked up Ashes this week for exactly the same reason - great minds! :-)

When ever I tell myself I'm not going to buy any more books, I suddenly find myself lots of bargains everywhere! :)

Steffikins said...

Wow! Ashes sounds amazing!
And book buying bans never work for me! I always get more when I try not to buy any!

Happy reading!

http://steffikins.blogspot.com/2011/10/imm-13-250911-081011.html?m=0

Steffikins

Carina said...

Aww, you got some amazing books this week! :) I haven't heard of some of these, but all of them look and sound very intriguing. I hope you enjoy them! :)

Have a lovely week,
Carina

Sarah (Escaping Through Books) said...

I have decided that book buying bans never work so I should just continue buying whatever books I want! I am an Audible member, too, and love audiobooks. I'm curious about how the Daughter of Smoke and Bone audiobook is because I was eyeing that one this week.

Bungle said...

I got Mist too this week, it was my birthday treat to myself :)
I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone. You got some great books this week, looking forward to your reviews.

Giselle said...

Oh Ashes sounds really good! It's the first I hear of it. Smoke and Bone is amazing. Hope you like it too!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Raimy-rawr said...

great books! I hope you enjoy them! Im sure I had the Foreshadowing when I was younger but I cant remember reading it...

Kate said...

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is meant to be awesome :) Hope you enjoy it.

I'm completely jealous of Silence! I was meant to buy it last week but my pay is late so I couldn't continue to break my ban :P

turn-the-page.net said...

Love your mailbox! Im not much good at buying bans either - though I have just kind of made one on my TBR post!

Looks like you got some great books though - Ashes is the only one there I have read and it was pretty good.

MyIMMthis week

Amy @ Turn the Page

Kristin said...

You got a lot of good books this week. I cannot wait to get my hands on Silence.
- Book Sniffers Anonymous

Amanda Welling said...

Another week and more amazing books! Have fun reading all of your new editions! :)

Come visit my IMM!

Amanda
Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

Crystal (Book Snob) said...

YAY for Silence and the Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Ashes sounds so good! I Hope you like them. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) Happy reading!

Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I'm in the middle of both Ashes and Daughter of Smoke and Bone at the moment (one for home, one for work) and they are both Fantastic (with a capital F there), hope you can read them soon.
I didn't know Mist was in Tesco! :O
I don't think I'll be able to stick to a book-buying ban either!

The Library Owl said...

Yay I got Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Silence this week too! I hope you enjoy all your new books :)

Peggy said...

The Foreshadowing really sounds good!
Happy Reading! Check out my mailbox

Ailsa said...

I really want to read Daughter of Smoke And Bone! Hope you enjoy it :)

Here's my IMM this week: The Book Bundle

~Ailsa