Monday, 28 November 2011

Book Review: After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel



AFTER OBSESSION by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel

Released:  September 2011
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Review Format:  Paperback finished copy
Source:  Received from the publishers, thanks!
Page Count:  305





Aimee and Alan have unusual pasts and secrets they prefer to keep hidden. Aimee's deceased mother struggled with mental illness and hallucinations, and Aimee thinks it could be hereditary. After all, she sees a shadowy river man where there isn't one. And then there was that time she and her best friend Courtney tried to conjure a spirit with a Ouija board . . .

Alan is Courtney's cousin. His family moved to Maine when Courtney's father went missing. It's not just Alan's dark good looks that make him attractive. He is also totally in touch with a kind of spiritual mysticism from his Native American heritage. And it's not long before Aimee has broken up with her boyfriend . . .

But it's not Aimee or Alan who is truly haunted - it's Courtney. In a desperate plea to find her father, Courtney invites a demonic presence into her life. Together, Aimee and Alan must exorcise the ghost, before it devours Courtney - and everything around her.
I have been dying to read this one ever since I received it. The cover is beautiful and the synopsis just screams creepy! Last week I finally got the chance to get my nose stuck into it.

After Obsession is written in first person with chapters alternating between the two main characters, Aimee and Alan. It worked really well and I enjoyed reading from both perspectives. It’s a very quick and easy read with a very well thought out plot and some great twists although I would definitely have liked more detail and a bit more background information.

The characters were interesting, especially Alan who was my favourite. Aimee was nice, but nothing special and she did irritate me a little sometimes with her ‘nothing negative’ attitude even with all this bad stuff happening around her. I was also a little sad that I didn’t feel more attached to Courtney. Apart from her being the one possessed and her dad recently dying, we didn’t really get to know her and it seemed a shame as I wasn’t desperately rooting for her against the evil, nasty River Man.

Being about demonic possession, I expected After Obsession to be creepy and it was, although it wasn’t quite as scary as I thought it would be. I loved reading about Alan and the native American Indian mythology - it fitted the story perfectly. I was a little disappointed that we didn’t get to find out more about the different stages of possession - or Ghost Sickness. It would have been interesting to see more of Courtney actually going through this and I wasn’t quite sure I understood how it was affecting the rest of the town too.

All in all, a pretty good read and some interesting mythology. I just wish there had been more!

My rating: 3 Stars


4 comments:

Mel said...

I've had this on my book shelf for a few weeks, but have heard mixed reviews. Glad you liked it - I think I will try to get through over Christmas when I plan on doing plenty of reading! :)

Raimy-rawr said...

I really enjoyed this book,though I admit it felt a little rushed

Cozy in Texas said...

I stopped by your blog today.
Ann

Nikki said...

I completely agree with this review. I liked After Obsession, but it needed more to it. It had some genuinely creepy moments - like that scene with the knife - that freaked me out. Great review!