Monday, 21 November 2011

Book Review: Betrayal by Lee Nichols




BETRAYAL by Lee Nichols

Released:  September 2011
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Review Format:  Paperback finished copy
Source:  Received from the publishers - thank you!
Series:  Haunting Emma #2
Pages:  268




Emma Vaile is the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. Which is great for battling the wraith-master Neos and horrible for her social life. Emma knows fellow ghostkeeper Bennett Stern is her soul mate, but when ghostkeepers fall in love, the weaker one loses all power. And until Neos is defeated, Bennett and Emma can't risk it.

When the temptation of being with Emma gets to be too much, Bennett disappears, pursuing a dangerous path to increase his powers. Heartbroken and alone, Emma tries to lose herself in school. But when the Knell, a secret ghostkeeping society, sends two new ghostkeepers to Echo Point—one a snarky teen guy, the other a British scholar—Emma throws herself into training to battle Neos. But as the team grows stronger, so do the ghosts. And worse, one of their own will betray them. One Emma never suspected. . . .
Synopsis from Goodreads.
Betrayal is the second book in the Haunting Emma series. It was good to catch up with Emma and Natalie and I enjoyed the new characters, Simon and Lukas too. Bennett didn’t appear in this book as much as I’d hoped, but then I wasn’t sure I liked the change in him much, so maybe that’s a good thing.

My favourite characters in the book had to be the ‘friendly’ ghosts. I adored Coby and Anatole. How awesome would it be to have a ghost cook dinner for you? I didn’t enjoy Emma quite so much this time round. She seemed a little more whiney than in Deception and although I suppose, given her back story that she had more than enough reason to be like that, it just grated on my nerves a little.

I thought the plot was excellent and I loved the build up to the big battle with Neos and all the creepy, scary little traps he sets along the way.

Betrayal is written in first person from Emma’s point of view and is very quick and easy to read. There were lots of unexpected twists and turns which kept me guessing right through to the end and although there wasn’t a major cliffhanger, it was obviously left open for the next book in the series, Surrender, due out in December 2011.

I struggled a little with the star rating for this one as I think it’s definitely worth more than a three, but I didn’t quite enjoy it as much as Deception, which I gave 4 stars to. I don’t like to give half stars on my reviews as I like to be able to give the same scores on Goodreads and Amazon, so after much deliberating, I decided to go with 4 stars.

My rating: 4 Stars


3 comments:

Kate said...

It may not be as good as Deception but I still can't wait to read Betrayal :P Thanks for the review

Cait said...

I really enjoyed this, but am definitely becoming less of a Bennett fan! I'd totally love a ghost chef and I agree that Lucas is a cool character. Harry is still my fave tho!

The Cait Files

Small Review said...

I agree with you on every single point you made. :) I hope we get to see more of the ghosts in the final book. They're my favorites too.