Saturday, 19 November 2011

In My Mailbox #54

In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren.  You can find out more about this by visiting her blog.

This week has been a pretty good book week for me.  I've received 4 books which I'm very excited to read!


UNLOVABLE by Sherry Gammon
(for review from the author - thanks!)

Port Fare, New York, has fallen into the clutches of true evil. The Dreser brothers have arrived with a scheme to increase drug sales in the area by whatever means possible. Seth Prescott is part of MET (Mobile Enforcement Teams) a branch of the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration). He's been assigned to work undercover at Port Fare High, and things aren't going very well, until senior Maggie Brown enters the equation. He's harbored a secret crush on her from day one, and now that she is in the center of the case, he's trying to stay clear and objective while walking the line between business and unrequited love.

Maggie is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with jutting bones and dark-ringed eyes, but is she an addict, or is there another reason for her appearance? She struggles with her feelings for Seth, fearing he is just another person who will eventually let her down, as everyone in her life has done thus far.
Maggie has spent her life caring for her alcoholic mother. A task that has left her heavily burdened and alone. Before long, her mother's health takes a turn for the worst, sending Maggie's life into a tale-spin.

While Seth works relentlessly to inject fear into the dealers and flush them out into the open, Maggie fights to stay alive as the hunt turns deadly.

Seth and Maggie's romantic journey is one of humor, heartbreak, and self-discovery.



THE SCARLET DAGGER by Krystle Jones
(for review from the author - thanks!)

After the Eclipse – the night vampires began openly slaughtering human victims – everything changed. Out of fear, the government salvaged what remained of the human population and enclosed them in massive, security-laden cities called White Sectors, while marking the vampire infested territory as Red Sectors.

When seventeen-year-old Sloane McAllister’s twin brother disappears, she seems to be the only one who thinks he isn’t dead, and vows to stop at nothing to find him. Gathering her courage, she braves the Red Sector to search for clues to his whereabouts. By chance, she encounters Aden, a handsome, charismatic vampire with a hidden agenda. He turns Sloane against her will, and whisks her away to his underground city. Enemies quickly become friends as Sloane struggles against her attraction to Aden, and resists her growing loyalties to the creatures that ruined her life. But the vampires themselves are the least of her problems. The city is harboring a devastating secret, one that could change the tide of the war and threaten to destroy everything Sloane has come to believe in.

Heart-stopping action and scorching romance collide in this dystopian, urban fantasy thriller.



CINDER by Marissa Meyer
(for review from Netgalley & Macmillan - thank you!)

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.





TEMPEST RISING by Tracy Deebs
(Samantha from The Official Blog of Samantha Young was having a clear out and very kindly sent me this beautiful hardcover copy - thank you so much Samantha.  You are much awesomeness!)

Tempest Maguire wants nothing more than to surf the killer waves near her California home; continue her steady relationship with her boyfriend, Mark; and take care of her brothers and surfer dad. But Tempest is half mermaid, and as her seventeenth birthday approaches, she will have to decide whether to remain on land or give herself to the ocean like her mother. The pull of the water becomes as insistent as her attraction to Kai, a gorgeous surfer whose uncanny abilities hint at an otherworldly identity as well. And when Tempest does finally give in to the water's temptation and enters a fantastical underwater world, she finds that a larger destiny awaits her-and that the entire ocean's future hangs in the balance.




STALKING SHADOWS by S.A. Hunter (Scary Mary #2)
(for review from the author - thanks!)

Mary’s back, and she has to help Vicky, her nemesis. While on a date, Vicky gets into car wreck that leaves her in a coma. Through dreams, she reaches out to Mary for help. Mary isn’t happy to help her, but she’s willing to do almost anything to get the cheerleader out of her head.








I am loving my books this week.  What did you get in your mailbox?

42 comments:

Renu said...

Ooh, I like the cover for Unlovable! Cinder is awesome, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. =)

Angelica Joy said...

Looking forward to reading

Angelica Joy said...

Looking forward to reading unlovable and cinder...enjoy! Looking forward to your reviews.

StephTheBookworm said...

Unlovable sounds great!

Michael/Bookshelf Reviewer said...

Great IMM this week. I really want to read Cinder.
Here is My IMM

Grace Fonseca said...

You got some really good books. Come visit me as well. Tempest Rising,still have to buy it. It looks awesome. Old follower.

Grace
Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog

Mel said...

Still going strong with the book buying ban I see! Some great books to review there and Tempest Rising sounds great too. :)

Samantha said...

Just letting you know you received the One Lovely Blog Award

http://thewrittenescapereviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/lovely.html

Lindsay Cummings author said...

omgsh enjoy cinder! dying for that one.

come see my massive IMM, and my first video blog ever! :)
http://www.lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/

Sally@Always Lost in Stories said...

I love that cover for Unlovable. I've got Tempest Rising on my shelves to read at some point too, it sounds great doesn't it?

K R Weinert said...

Cinder's on my 'want it' list, not come across the others. Enjoy :)

YA's the Word

Claire said...

Great books this week! Unlovable and the Scarlet Dagger sound awesome, and Cinders on my wishlist.

My IMM is here if you'd like a look :)

wordsthatfly said...

I've been seeing Tempest around quite a book. It has such a pretty cover, I just keep wanting to look at it. Hope you like your books!

Amy said...

Unlovable sounds good. I also want to read Cinder and Tempest Rising. Hope you enjoy them. Here's my IMM

http://booklovingme.blogspot.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-1.html

Annabell said...

I am really looking forward to Unlovable. I have seen Cinder on many IMMs this week also, so I think I better check that one out too.

Check out my IMM

Mateja said...

Yay for Cinder and Tempest Rising. I'm totally jealous :) Happy reading!

Carina said...

I loved Unlovable and I'm sooo jealous of Tempest Rising - I'm dying to read this!

Awesome books. I hope you enjoy all of these. :) Have a lovely week!

Carina

Mary @SweepingMe said...

I would love to get my hands on Unlovable and Cinder. They both sound so great!

Happy Reading!
Mary

http://sweepingme.com/2011/11/in-my-mailbox-10/

Shortskie said...

Awesome books, can't wait to read Cinder, enjoy!

My Mailbox

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

Great stuff! Looks like you had a good week. I received The Scarlet Dagger for review, too. :) Bye!

Myra Garces-Bacsal from GatheringBooks said...

Oh wow, Cinder is just everywhere! I haven't read any review yet, I am hoping that it's really worth all the hype and that it's a good read. Enjoy the rest of your loot for the week.

Here's my IMM:
http://wp.me/pDlzr-2iD

Daydreaming_Star said...

Both Cinder and Tempest Rising sound soo goood! I hope that you enjoy reading them!! :D

Happy Reading!

Here's what I got In My Mailbox this week!

Faye

manda-rae said...

Tempest Rising looks interesting; I've never read a mermaid book before. You'll have to let me know how it turns out.

My IMM

SJH (A Dream of Books) said...

I'm very envious that you got Cinder. I'm dying to read that one! Hope you enjoy :)

Raimy-rawr said...

Oooo there's a Scary Mary 2! I may have to ok into that I was left with questions after the first! I hope you enjoy your books!

Chapter by Chapter said...

You have some fantastic books this week! I've never heard of scary mary but I now want to read them!
Happy reading, new follower :)
MaryAnn @ Chapter by Chapter
@chapterxchapter

Amanda Welling said...

I loved Cinder! I hope that you enjoy it too!

Come check out my IMM. I have a couple giveaways going on right now too :)

Amanda
Hippies, Beauty, and Books. Oh My!

A Beautiful Madness said...

Yeah for Cinder! I got a copy on NetGalley too, but I haven't had time to read it yet. Hope you like it!

My IMM

Laura @ My Enchanted Bookshelf said...

I have Tempest Rising on my TBR list...can't wait to read it!! Great IMM :o)

Visit mine here: http://myenchantedbookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-my-bookshelf_20.html

FABR Steph said...

I featured Unlovable in Shelf Candy but have not gotten to read it yet. I can't wait to get to Cinder. Great IMM. Enjoy your reading this week.
My IMM

Jenny said...

Can't wait to see what you think of Cinder! I just finished that one and really enjoyed how she retold the Cinderella story:)

Shae Carcar said...

Really want to read Cinder! The cover is super unique!

Giselle said...

The Scarlet Dagger sounds awesome I can't believe I haven't seen it before! Great haul!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Kat said...

Cinder looks really good! I really want to read it. :)

Roxy said...

Wow! Those are a lot of books! The cover for Unlovable is awesome!
My IMM!!
-Roxy

Amanda B. said...

Love the cover for Unlovable!

Happy reading!

Amanda's Writings

Just a Lil Lost said...

Sweet haul! I picked up Cinder this week too :)

LOVE the cover of Unlovable!!

Michele | IMM

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I keep hearing great things about Cinder. Hope you enjoy all your reads! =)

A. Knight said...

The one that had me like WHOA was Unlovable. I love those kinds of emotional stories. I really liked Tempest Rising too, so I hope you enjoy that.

Happy reading!

- Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

Rachel Brooks said...

Ooh Cinder is on my TBR list! I can't wait to read it!

I found you via the IMM linky. I’m a new follower :)
http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

Nerd Girls said...

What a great haul!

--Kaitlin

Gina @ My Precious said...

Looking forward to Cinder review. I have that one from NG too. Nice batch of books you got this week - ENJOY!