Monday, 19 December 2011

Book Review: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



EVERY OTHER DAY by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Released:  27th December 2011
Publisher:  Egmont
Review Format:  e-galley
Source:  Netgalley/Egmont with thanks!





Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.

And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.

Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.

When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.
My initial thoughts when I started reading Every Other Day were “What the … Wow!!!” That first chapter really was that good!

I loved the idea that every other day Kali transformed from a normal schoolgirl to a kickass demon hunting preternatural being tracking down hellhounds and zombies. When Kali sees a strange tattoo on the back of ‘Miss Popular’, aka Bethany, the story really takes off and it was just full of awesome!

The characters were fabulous and the plot was easy to follow, full of action, horror, excitement and intrigue. I was totally enthralled in the world Jennifer Lynn Barnes had created. I laughed and cried whilst reading this book and for the most part I was glued to my seat and my Kindle became an extension to my arm. I just could not put it down!

This is the first book by Jennifer I've read, but it definitely wont be the last!  I recommend you grab yourself a copy of Every Other Day when it is released later this month. I’m pretty sure you wont be let down.

My rating: 5 stars


7 comments:

Alex Bennett from Electrifying Reviews said...

So glad you loved this one! I can't wait to read it, but now I know it will be good!

kara-karina@Nocturnal Book Reviews said...

Really glad you loved it just as much as I did! Jennifer writes really well :)

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

Sounds really good! Gotta add it to my TBR now. Thanks for the review :)

thebookfairyhaven said...

Great review :) I must say I've seen this book around on many people's wishlists, but didn't really know what the book was about until I read your review. Love the premise behind the novel and am happy to hear that the story surpassed your expectations. Will be on the lookout for this one, that's for sure!

Luisa at Chicklish said...

I love the sound of this book and I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist after reading your review. Thank you!

Mel said...

I loved it as well - although my review doesn't go up until Friday, I absolutely loved it as well! So much fun and definitely an author I want to read from! :)

Gina @ My Precious said...

Wow, sounds like it was surprisingly good! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the introduction, I will be adding it to my every growing TBR. I wonder what classification this book would fall under?